What’s better than an ordinary doughnut?…..a donut filled with fresh blackberries and lemon zest of course!
These blackberry doughnuts are easy to make and taste & smell like authentic doughnuts. They are baked, not fried and perfectly fluffy, packed with citrus flavor and bursting with blackberries and covered in a tart glaze.
I’d say they are pretty hard to resist!
I was originally craving Blueberry Cake donuts…which were my favorite from the donut shop. BUT, then I remembered that I used up all our blueberries in a fruit salad 😢. Well …. blackberries to the rescue!
And oh my goodness! If they had these lemony Blackberry Donuts at a shop nearby, they would sell out in a heart beat. Who cares that they are vegan and gluten-free….no one would even taste the difference! These donuts were amazing.
Tips for making perfect blackberry donuts
- Use the right flour. I used Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 Gluten free blend but it was also tested it using the same amount of Bob’s AP flour. Both had great results but using anything other than these two….I cannot guarantee the results.
- Use fresh berries if you can.
- Aquafaba eggs make these donuts light and fluffy. Not sure what aquafaba is….well it’s the slightly gelatinous liquid you find in your can of chickpeas.
- Use a non-stick donut pan like Wilton’s 6 cavity Baking Pan (affiliate link). I get better results from using this pan, compared to a silicone pan.
- Use real, granulated sugar… there’s not a lot of sugar in these donuts anyways. I tested with paleo-friendly sugar like Allulose and Stevia but the results didn’t make me happy. I like Wholesome vegan sugar (its all in how it is processed) and found it to yield the best results.
- The easiest way to get the batter into the pan is by using a piping bag or ziplock bag with the corner cut off. This is MUCH easier than trying to spoon the batter neatly into each well.
Ohhh that lemon glaze
I tried several different glaze combinations, but this light and tangy lemony glaze is by far the best choice. Of course you can add a little food color to make the color a brighter shade of pink, but I prefer a more natural look.
Which glaze do you prefer?
We love Donuts
Although these Blackberry Donuts are probably my new favorite on the blog, you can’t forget about our Carrot Cake Donuts, Pumpkin Donuts or Chocolate Donuts. They are all delicious and give you lots of options to choose from.Print
Vegan Baked Blackberry Donuts topped with a simple, yet amazing lemon glaze. Donuts are incredibly easy to make and perfect for breakfast! Gluten-free & Nut-free too with options.
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted & cooled
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened flax milk (or dairy free milk of choice) We used Good Karma Flax Milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (white or apple cider)
- 1 cup Bob’s 1-1 gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries (gently diced or use blueberries)
- 1 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted vegan butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 4–5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Make the donuts:
Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly spray a 6-cavity donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a small bowl, add milk and vinegar then set aside to curdle.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture into the wet ingredients, and stir just until combined. Gently fold in the blackberries.
Transfer the batter into a disposable piping bag or zip-top bag with a small corner cut off. Pipe the batter into the prepared donut pans filling each cavity 2/3 full.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until donuts spring back when pressed lightly with your fingertip. Cool on a wire rack. Dip the donuts in the lemon glaze.
Make the Glaze:
In a medium bowl combine the confectioners’ sugar, butter, lemon zest, and salt. Whisk in enough lemon juice to create a smooth glaze.
- Any berry of your choice will work. Try this with blueberries, strawberries or raspberries.
- If the glaze begins to stiffen while dipping the donuts, try warming it in the microwave for a few seconds to loosen it back up.
- Category: breakfast, dessert
- Method: bake
Keywords: doughnut, donut, vegan, gluten free, top 8 free, berry donut, easy baked donut,