Move over pumpkin, these Vegan Carrot Cake Donuts will be the new favorite this fall!
Ok, that may be a little extreme….I mean have you tried my Baked Pumpkin Donuts, they are delish. BUT these carrot cake donuts will win the hearts of many, including your picky eaters (a.k.a. children).
Baked not Fried
Have you ever tried making donuts the traditional way? Not fried in hog’s fat, like they did back in the 1800’s, but fried none-the-less? Well this baked donut recipe is so much easier to make and less messy — no yeast, no waiting for dough to rise, no deep frying & absolutely no hogs were harmed when making these. What’s not to love?
Loaded with Sweet Carrots
This carrot cake donut is a simple donut with a lot of natural sweetness, which I prefer over sugary donuts. Don’t give me donuts covered candy bars, crushed cookies or cereal! I want to actually enjoy the taste of the donut, in all its sweet dough glory.
But don’t forget the icing! Not because our cute little carrot cake donuts need it, but because you can and you should! Besides, icing sure does make each bite taste extra delicious. I thickened up the icing used in this Monkey Bread recipe and it turned out wonderfully. Nice & buttery, light & creamy, and slightly sweet which complimented our donuts perfectly.
Glam or Ghoulish
In addition to a little icing, I do love to glam it with some shredded coconut or a few sprinkles. Since the first batch of carrot cake donuts disappeared within the hour, I just HAD to remake them. This time we topped them off with some orange & black sprinkles. If the stores can bring out their Halloween decor, I figured I’d join the party. See how fun the sprinkles look on these orange donuts?
Can you see it –Shredded coconut for an Easter brunch or colored sprinkles for your little trick-or-treaters? It’s the perfect base for either holiday.
Don’t wait for the a holiday or the weekend to whip up a fresh batch! Make these today & let me know what you think.
If you give this recipe a try, please leave me a comment below with your feedback. I’d love to see your amazing pictures too – find me on Instagram & be sure to tag @allergylicious so I don’t miss it.
Treat yourself to a deliciously addictive, baked carrot cake donut! Topped with a homemade icing, this recipe will become your new favorite. TOP 8 FREE, Vegan & Gluten-free
• 1/3 cup refrigerated coconut milk
• 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
• 3 tablespoons melted butter (we used Earth Balance Buttery stick)
• 2 tablespoons agave
• 1 egg replacer (we used Neat Egg = 1 TB mix + 2 TB water)
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup shredded carrots (approximately 2 large carrots)
• 1 cup Gluten-free flour (we used Bob’s 1-to-1 GF)
• 1/4 cup pure cane sugar (WholeSome Brand)
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• pinch of nutmeg
• 2 cups powdered sugar (Wholesome Brand is vegan)
• 1 stick vegan butter (Earth Balance)
• 1 tablespoon coconut milk or creamer
• 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Carrot Cake Donuts
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Make your “buttermilk” by mixing together coconut milk and vinegar in a medium bowl. Let curdle.
3. Make your egg replacer (per instructions on packaging of choice).
4. Melt butter in a small bowl.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
6. In your “buttermilk” bowl, whisk in sugar, agave, egg replacer, vanilla and melted butter.
7. Pour into dry ingredients, add shredded carrots and stir only until combined.
8. Spray donut pan . Add batter to piping bag and pipe evenly into pan, filling 2/3 full.
9. Bake 7 minutes for mini donuts and up to 9 for regular size donuts. Allow to cool before removing onto cooling rack.
1. In a mixing bowl, whip butter until light and fluffy with hand held mixer. Slowly add powdered sugar then pour in milk/creamer and vanilla extract. Whip until combined then spread on cooled donuts.
2. Add sprinkles or shredded coconut if desired.
3. Allow to sit overnight or in the refrigerator to allow frosting to harden.
This recipe will make 6 standard size donuts + 4 mini donuts. Quantity will adjust depending on size of pan you use.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten-free, nut-free
Craving more? Sign up for the Allergylicious newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! Grab a copy of my eBook and stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.2