Incredibly moist, perfectly spiced Applesauce spice cake that almost melts in your mouth! It’s quick and easy to make in 1-bowl. The cake is great by itself, the cream cheese glaze is just a bonus. It’s going to be your new favorite winter and holiday cake.
This is the recipe you’ve been waiting for, the recipe you voted to see on the blog via Instagram stories! Vegan Applesauce Spice Bundt Cake.
It’s so good, you’re going to want to make this any chance you get, Fall or Winter! It reminds me of a cross between my carrot cake and pumpkin bread. Soft and moist (thanks to the added fruits/veggies), simple yet classy and tempting my tastebuds with seasonal spices.
It’s super soft, easy to make and Oh SO Delicious! This bundt cake has quickly climbed to the ranks to be one of my favorite cakes EVER. It’s up there with the best of the best so make room Banana Coffee Cupcakes and Chocolate Raspberry Cake, there’s a new cake in town!
This Spice Cake Is:
- Perfectly sweet
- Cozy + comforting
- Subtly spiced
- Simple (1 bowl & whisk )
- Shareable & easy to transport
- Topped with silky smooth “cream cheese” glaze
- & Altogether perfect for fall or winter
May I suggest this cake for holiday gatherings? Your friends and family will love you forever.
Spice Cake Ingredients
Spice Cake Ingredients
Our vegan spice cake requires very simple ingredients– nothing fancy, all items you likely have in your pantry already.
- Flour: All-purpose flour serves as the base but I’ve also tried making this with an All-Purpose 1:1 Gluten-free Flour (try Better Batter for Top 8 Free or Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 for amazing results).
- Baking Soda + Vinegar: These ingredients help the cake rise.
- Salt + Vanilla Extract : Both add flavor and balance to the spice.
- Fall Spices: We use lots of cozy spices like cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Oil: Oil guarantees an extra moist crumb and stays moist and tender longer.
- Brown Sugar: The best flavor lies in this spice cake thanks for the brown sugar. Choose dark brown sugar for an even deeper spice flavor.
- Applesauce: Applesauce adds flavor and moisture, plus it really wouldn’t be an applesauce cake if we left it out.
- Eggs + Dairy: NO WAY! We don’t need either of those because this cake is egg-free and dairy-free!
How To Make Applesauce Spice Cake
Made in just one bowl (not counting the frosting, of course) the base of this spice cake is super simple to make. You don’t even need your mixer unless you’re attached to it like I am!.
- Combine the wet ingredients large bowl.
- Sift the dry ingredients on top of the wet.
- Whisk really well, until completely combined.
- Pour into a lightly greased bundt cake pan.
- Bake. Cool. Unmold.
- Make cream cheese glaze! I’m a cream cheese glaze snob but my Maple Glaze would work well here, too.
- Pour glaze over (cooled) spice cake, slice, and serve.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Speaking of frosting, did you know that tangy cream cheese frosting is spice cake’s best friend? It’s true! And although our pretty little bundt cake is delicious all on its own, it’s happier when dressed in this silky smooth glaze.
For a less sweet dessert, very lightly drizzle some of the glaze over the cake. If you prefer a sweeter dessert, be more generous with the glaze. Both options are equally yum!
What Can I Use Instead of a Bundt Pan?
This spice cake is incredibly versatile – including the pan it’s baked in. So if you don’t have a bundt cake pan, convert this Applesauce Bundt Cake into a layered cake, sheet cake or cupcake.
- Layer Cake: Divide the batter between two buttered 8-inch round pans and bake for about 25 to 35 minutes, or until the centers are cooked through. Double the frosting since you’ll be adding that middle layer of sweetness.
- Sheet Cake: This batter fits wonderfully into a 9×13 inch pan and bakes up nicely in 40-45 minutes.
- Cupcakes: This recipe makes about 18 (I usually get 21 standard-sized) cupcakes. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Other Holiday Recipes You’ll Love
Applesauce Spice Cake Recipe
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour* (see notes for GF option)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup white or apple-cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- CREAM CHEESE GLAZE
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese (room temp)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (room temp)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a Bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together applesauce, brown sugar, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Sift in flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger then whisk until just combined. Do not overmix. If using add-ins, gently fold in here (see tip).
- Fill the prepared pan evenly with batter. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out dry with a few crumbs clinging to it. Rotate the cake halfway through baking time. Let the cake cool completely before unmolding.
To make the glaze:
- In a medium bowl, use a hand-held mixer and blend together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, until smooth. Warm in the microwave in 20 second intervals, until thick but pourable.
To assemble the cake:
- Once the cake is completely cooled, run a knife around the inside edges of the pan to loosen. Gently unmold the cake and place on a wire rack over parchment paper or a baking sheet. For a less sweet dessert, very lightly drizzle some of the glaze over the cake. If you prefer a sweeter dessert, be more generous with the glaze. Transfer to a platter and serve.
*For a gluten-free alternative, substitute gluten-free 1:1 baking flour OR use gluten-free all-purpose flour plus 1 teaspoon xanthan gum.
**Add In Options: 1/4 cup Raisins, craisins, nuts, or chocolate chips are great additions. To keep from sinking to the bottom of a cake during baking, toss with 1 tablespoon flour before adding them to your batter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 7mg Sodium: 420mg Carbohydrates: 68g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 47g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g