Fluffy Red Velvet Cake with rich Cream Cheese Frosting and topped with Chocolate Ganache — perfect for every special occasion.
This is the BEST Vegan, Gluten-free Red Velvet Cake recipe! Yes, that’s right, it’s the bomb diggity, and it’s what we are having for breakfast Christmas morning. You read that correctly…. BREAKFAST. One of our traditions is to to make a birthday cake for Jesus and have that as our Christmas morning breakfast. For us, it’s a way to help the kids remember what the season is about, before it quickly becomes all about them and the presents they all received.
The types of cakes and decorations have varied over the years. We’ve had German Chocolate Cake covered in coconut sprinkles, Fluffy Vanilla Cake with Vanilla Frosting and sprinkles, Gluten-free Blueberry Banana Cake with lots of candles and Chocolate Sheet Cake with fudge frosting, decorated by the kiddos. But this year, we’re going the Red Velvet route and making it extra fancy with homemade Cream Cheese Frosting and Chocolate Ganache. All perfectly vegan, allergy-friendly and gluten-free of course.
This Red Velvet Cake was made 6 times this week (yes 6x), in order to share the best cake possible with you all.
Sorry to those who tried the first version 😂
I initially wanted to create a healthier cake, by using agave instead of sugar, and coconut oil instead of butter but it just didn’t cut it. Now don’t get me wrong, it was still good, but not light and fluffy which is what I wanted. So… sugar and butter is necessary to achieve red velvet magic!
This red velvet cake is seriously dreamy! But if the photos haven’t convinced you yet, then let me entice you farther. This cake is….
- Fluffy & Moist
- Beautifully red
- Perfectly sweetened
- Topped with decadent cream cheese frosting
- Covered with Ganache
- & Slightly addictive
I may or may not have made extra frosting just in case more sampling was required.
This cake is not only ideal for Christmas, but it’s also a show stopper at birthdays or other special occasions. You’ll be the Martha Stewart at the next party!
And if you love red velvet then check out our Chocolate Dipped Red Velvet Cookies for a bite sized version. Our German Chocolate Cake is where you’ll get the ganache recipe from, so grab that too, plus it’s stinkin’ amazing!
So go on and make this gorgeous red velvet cake , serve it for breakfast like us, or just enjoy every vegan + gluten-free bite at your celebration of choice.
Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting & Ganache
Yield 2 9" rounds
Two gorgeous fluffy layers of vibrant red cake, topped with addicting cream cheese frosting and drenched in chocolate ganache. Perfect for Christmas, birthdays or any other special occasions.
Red Velvet Cake
- 3/4 cup vegan butter (like Earth Balance soy free)
- 2 cups vegan cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cacao powder (can also us cocoa)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons egg replacer, mixed with 6 tablespoon warm water
- 1 1/2 cup dairy-free milk (like Good Karma Flax milk)
- 2 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (keep seperate)
- 2 teaspoon vanillla extract
- 4-5 tablespoon natural red food coloring
- 3 3/4 cups gluten-free flour (Bob's 1-to-1 GF Flour was used)*
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 cups vegan powdered sugar
- 8 ounces vegan chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter
Red Velvet Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour two 9" round baking pans.
- In a stand mixer, combine butter, cane sugar, salt and cacao until fluffy.
- In a small bowl #1, whisk the egg replacer with dairy-free milk, 2 TB of apple cider vinegar, vanilla and red food coloring. Alternate adding this mixture and flour to the stand mixer while running on low, scraping down sides as needed.
- In small bowl #2, mix baking soda and 2 teaspoons vinegar then fold into batter.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and bake 25-30 minutes. If toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, then it's ready.
- Cool pans on a wire rack at least 10 minutes then flip over to release. Cool completely before icing.
Make the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a stand mixer, whip the butter, cream cheese, vanilla and maple syrup until smooth, making sure to scrape the sides to incorporate it all. Lower speed and slowly add the powdered sugar a little at a time. Once combined, whip on high for a minute to get nice and fluffy.
Make the Ganache:
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and butter for 45 seconds. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside.
Put it all Together:
Place the first cake on a serving plate and spread with 3/4 cup frosting. Top with second layer and spread with remaining frosting on the top and sides. Pour chocolate ganache on top of frosting and allow to drip down the sides a little.
*If using another flour, please follow their directions if Xanthan Gum is required.
Cuisine Holiday, Vegan, Gluten-free
Pin for Later
Craving more? Sign up for the Allergylicious newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! Grab a copy of my eBook and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.2