A super-decadent, vegan and gluten-free version a favorite childhood candy bar: Twix bar cookies!
Anything with caramel screams decadence, but there’s something extra special when it’s combined with buttery shortbread then coated in rich, creamy chocolate! It goes from good to GREAT & these Twix Bars are pretty spectacular!
Copycat Vegan Twix Bar
Because I’m feeling generous, I wanted to give you a gift. A gift of deliciousness to be exact. A treat that you can share with your loved ones that is completely dairy-free, eggless, gluten-free & nut-free. Homemade Twix Bar Cookies…..
Are Twix Bars healthy?
The ingredients you use in your homemade Twix Bars, will determine if it’s a better-for-you option for not. For this recipe, I wanted to give you something different, something allergy-friendly and a little healthier too. Most recipes I’ve seen require either lots of sugars, nut flours or caramel from a jar. Others, use date caramel like these Homemade Twix Bars from Faith Food Fitness and although I really enjoy this option, I really wanted to use SunButter as a way to create more of a peanut butter-like caramel filling.
Twix Bar base
The shortbread portion of these Twix bar cookies was based on recipe I recreated years ago when we first went allergy-free. It was my Grandma’s Christmas shortbread that I cleaned up and made allergy-friendly. This buttery shortbread uses five ingredients — vegan butter, GF flour, confectioner’s sugar, cornstarch and vanilla extract which is not only delicious on its own, but is the perfect base for the sweet caramel & smooth, dark chocolate.
Twix without caramel
If you have a jar of SunButter and a few other ingredients, you can make your own filling without adding ingredients like corn syrup. It’s freaking amazing ya’ll! And best of all, it makes a little extra so you can use it as a delicious dip for your apples or drizzle it on top off your waffles .
Twix Bars with homemade chocolate
Last but never least: chocolate. With just three ingredients — cacao powder, coconut oil (or another neutral oil), and pure maple syrup — you can make your own chocolate topping. You’ll simply melt everything together then pour that richness over the caramel layer. Sprinkle with some Himalayan sea salt and you’ve created an explosion of awesomeness!
Candy Bar Heaven
After a small amount of setting time in your fridge (or freezer if you can’t wait that long), slice into brownie-sized squares or Twix-like bars then sink your teeth into caramel-chocolate-shortbread heaven. They keep perfectly in the fridge, so you can indulge in one of the best treats on the planet for a few days.
Ready to Tempt your Tastebuds?
Here’s a few more of our favorite treats using SunButter:Print
This super decadent, vegan & gluten-free version of a favorite childhood candy bar is made with buttery shortbread, rich & creamy caramel and smooth homemade chocolate. This irresistible Twix Bar Cookie will be your new favorite treat.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter, softened (Earth Balance)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour (Bob’s Red Mill 1-1)
- 1/3 cup vegan confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 cup SunButter (organic or natural)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt (optional topping)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 9×4 loaf pan with foil, leaving overhang and lightly spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, cutting in the butter until crumbly mixture forms. Transfer to prepared baking pan and press down with your fingertips to form an even, flat layer. Poke dough about a dozen times in different spots with fork then bake. Bake 12-15 minutes or until crust has lightly set and golden (but not brown).
- Melt butter in a medium sized microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute. Add SunButter, syrup, vanilla & salt then stir until smooth. Spread evenly over crust taking time to cover completely.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Pour chocolate over caramel layer and smooth with offset spatula. Sprinkle with a small amount of sea salt for an extra explosion of flavor.
- Cover pan with foil then refrigerate (2 hrs) or freeze (30 min) until set before lifting out foil and slicing into bite-sized bars. Keep in fridge up to 10 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Don’t have time to make each step? Top off shortbread with “safe” jarred caramel topping. Melt vegan chocolate chips with a tsp. of coconut oil, stir well then add as your final top layer. Refrigerate as instructed.
- Category: Sweet Treats
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: top 8 free, gluten free, vegan
Keywords: twix, candy bar, chocolate