You’ll love this easy to make and DELICIOUS, SunButter buckeye candy recipe. Creamy, perfectly sweet, no bake, melt-in-your-mouth truffles dipped in vegan chocolate. No gluten, dairy, eggs, or peanuts.
Creamy, Easy to Make Allergy friendly Buckeyes
Buckeyes are like peanut butter balls that are mostly dipped in chocolate, leaving that little “eye” poking out to look at you as you’re getting ready to devour it! 😂. They are super easy to make, NO BAKING required, and you can even make these vegan chocolate candies ahead of time! Perfect for snacking, gifting & sharing with others.
SunButter + Chocolate = Heaven
Everyone always talks about PB and Chocolate but for those of us with a nut allergy, there is a alternative that is even more delicious…SunButter! It’s our families favorite! Delicious tasting sunflower butter made with simple ingredients, free from the top 8 food allergens, and containing more vitamins & minerals than most nut butters! What’s not to love?
Amazing on its own, but when mixed with vegan chocolate, it’s simply hard to resist! SunButter Buckeyes are like an extra smooth, chocolate cup with a lot more filling. Creamy and so satisfying.
What you need for this Peanut free Chocolate Candy
I first planned on remaking my original Buckeyes, to get some new photos, but then I kinda switched gears and decided on using a more traditional “candy-like” recipe, just swapping out the ingredients for those that were vegan & allergy-friendly. Thankfully, the ingredient list for these SunButter Buckeyes is still short & sweet and the results are AH-MA-ZING!
- SunButter – I used the No Sugar Added (orange jar) for this recipe as a way to keep the sugar down. It’s creamy and smooth, but you may need to stir before use as there can be some oil separation. You can also use their Natural variety like I did in this protein-based Buckeye recipe.
- Powdered Sugar – Also known as Confectioners Sugar but check to confirm it’s vegan. Yep, most store-bought sugar is still made using bone-char (eeeew), so if you’re looking for a brand to use, VegNews has a great listing you can read here.
- Vegan Chocolate Chips – There are more options available today than ever before! Semi sweet mini chips work well for this recipe because it’s so easy to melt but dark chocolate is another great choice.
- Butter -unsalted, stick butter works best and of course, we also make sure it’s vegan. If using a butter spread from a tub, I’d recommend using 1 tablespoon since it has a higher water content.
- Vanilla extract – when making candies or any type of dessert, you really want to be using the good stuff! No artificial flavoring here for the best tasting treats.
- Coconut oil – this helps smooth out your chocolate and makes for a much prettier buckeye candy. If you have a coconut allergy, simply sub with vegetable shortening or even butter.
How to make SunButter Buckeyes
You’ll be surprised at how ridiculously easy these sunflower butter buckeye candies are to make.
- The addictive center filling is made by creaming together SunButter, butter and vanilla in a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- After it’s blended, make sure your mixer is on low speed and slowly add powdered sugar to avoid getting it everywhere! Then increase to medium and scrape down the sides, making sure to get it all for the smoothest treats.
- Roll into 1″ balls ( I like using this small cookie scoop) and chill on parchment lined sheet.
- Then melt chocolate and coconut oil (or shortening/butter) in the microwave, stir and let cool slightly.
- Using a toothpick, dip chilled SunButter balls into chocolate, let excess drip off and place back on parchment sheet.
- Place finished buckeyes into fridge to allow chocolate coating to firm.
Pro Tips for making vegan Buckeye candy
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. You can also freeze for up to 3 months.
- Be sure to sift powdered sugar before adding & don’t forget to scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure the smoothest texture possible.
- Reduce dairy-free butter by 1 tablespoon if you’d like a firmer Buckeye.
- If oil separation has occurred in SunButter, just stir really well before measuring. When storing SunButter, make sure the lid is nice and tight, then store upside down – it helps!
- Dust your hands with powdered sugar when rolling the dough into balls. Then you’ll be sure not to get sticky hands.
- If your kitchen is warm, separate buckeyes into 2 batches and dip 1 tray at a time, while keeping the other waiting patiently in the fridge.
- Feel free to decorate the buckeye candy with festive sprinkles to coordinate with the holiday of choice.
- Wanna add some crunch? Try using Crunchy SunButter spread instead.
More SunButter Desserts
I hope you’re enjoying this holiday season and I also hope you love these SunButter Buckeyes as much as we do! If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️. This helps others find the recipes!
Easy, Vegan Buckeye Candy Recipe with SunButter
- Add the SunButter, butter, and vanilla to a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low and cream together, scraping down sides.
- Slowly add powdered sugar and mix on low (so it doesn't blow everywhere). Continue to scrape down sides to make sure it's all blended until smooth.
- Use a small cookie scoop or 1 tablespoon and grab mixture then roll into balls. Chill to firm, on parchment lined baking sheet (approx 20 minutes) in refrigerator.
- Add chocolate and coconut oil (or shortening) to medium bowl and melt in the microwave at 50% power for a minute. Stir to melt remaining chocolate and set aside to cool slightly.
- Use a toothpick to dip SunButter balls into chocolate, leaving a little exposed circle on top (creating the "eye"). Allow chocolate to drip off before placing back in baking sheet.
- Chill to firm and keep stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- *If you want to remove the holes on tip, run a knife or spatula over the tops to smooth.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 14mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 0g
Nutritional information is only an estimate based off of using an online calculator. Numbers will change depending on brands used.