Fudgy, beyond rich chocolate cupcakes topped with the creamiest SunButter frosting. (vegan and peanut free)
SunButter Buttercream Chocolate Cupcakes
Two of my favorite flavors in one handheld cupcake? Yes, PLEASE! These moist, fudgy chocolate cupcakes are topped with a dreamy SunButter buttercream and oh so delicious! Plus they’re super easy to make, easy to share, and even easier to eat!
You will love them.
What Do You Need To Make These Perfect SunButter Chocolate Cupcakes?
Ingredients for the Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Granulated sugar – Granulated sugar is the only sweetener you’ll need for this decadent chocolate cake, just make sure its vegan.
- Cocoa powder – Use a high quality cocoa powder to give it the best chocolate-y flavor
- All Purpose Flour – You can use all purpose flour OR sub with a Gluten Free Blend that contains Xanthan gum for an easy cup for cup swap.
- Baking Soda – Creates a beautiful rise in your chocolate cupcakes when combined with vinegar.
- Vinegar and Oil – they say that these two don’t mix but when it comes to vegan baking, they work magically!
- Vanilla: Use pure vanilla extract for the best results!
- Strongly Brewed Coffee – Coffee intensifies the chocolate flavor without making your cake taste like coffee. Just deep, rich, velvety chocolate you wanna devour over and over again. BTW, you can use decaf if you prefer.
Ingredients for the SunButter Frosting
- SunButter: Of Course! I recommend using their classic Creamy version Or No Sugar Added if your paying attention to cutting down on sugars. Just know that since it’s more natural, it probably will need to be stirred well since oil separation occurs!
- Vegan Shortening: I like using unsalted butter in frosting because it’s lighter, fluffier and holds better at room temperature.
- Confectioners Sugar: This SunButter buttercream requires powdered sugar to help bring it all together.
- Coffee Creamer or DF Milk: A splash of creamer is the secret ingredient to a perfectly silky SunButter buttercream. It will make your frosting extra light and fluffy (but feel free to use dairy free milk in a pinch).
What is SunButter
SunButter is our favorite seed-butter spread that is made from sunflower seeds! SunButter is a delicious alternative to nut-butters for any one with allergies (like us), sensitivities, or looking for a healthier alternative to most nut-butters! It has 7g of protein per serving, it is non-GMO, filled with more nutrients than most nut-butters, and has absolutely no trans-fat!
How To Make Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with SunButter Frosting
Special Step: Add the sifted cocoa powder to the warm coffee. Mix until smooth, and then add to the wet mixture from above. This step is known as “Blooming” which helps intensity the chocolate flavor.
Add the dry & wet together: Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, and whisk together until smooth. Try not to over mix though!
Add to pan & bake: Pour Chocolate Cupcakes batter over the into lined cupcake pans, then place into the oven to bake! When done, allow the cupcakes to cool completely before topping with SunButter frosting!
Tips for the Best SunButter Chocolate Cupcakes
You don’t need to be a pro-chef to make these indulgent, vegan chocolate cupcakes. Just follow these simple steps and you’re guaranteed a gourmet cupcake with a yummy, decadent frosting.
- Use hot coffee: When hot liquid is mixed with the cocoa powder, it dissolves quickly and releases the flavor trapped in the solid particles.
- Use high quality cocoa powder: The quality of your cocoa powder will make or break your SunButter chocolate cupcakes, so spend the extra dollar for higher quality cocoa. You’ll taste the difference.
- Break the Lumps: When mixing hot coffee with cocoa, but sure to stir well and break up those lumps, then let sit for a minute so it can release its ulta-chocolatey flavor.
- Do not over bake your cupcakes: There is nothing sadder than a dry, crumbly chocolate cake. Take your cupcake out when a toothpick comes out mostly clean rather than waiting for it to come out completely dry. Your cupcakes will continue to bake as they cool!
I hope you enjoy these SunButter frosted chocolate cupcakes as much as my family does!
If you liked this recipe or have any questions, leave a comment down below and giving this recipe a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ so that others may find this recipe!
As always, if you make something from the blog, be sure to tag @allergylicious on Instagram so I can see your creations. Also, follow along with me on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Facebook for more vegan & allergy friendly More vegan bar recipes you’ll love
Printable SunButter Buttercream Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour ( for GF alternative, use Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Baking Flour) *
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1/2 cup neutral oil
- 2 tablespoons white or apple-cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
SunButter Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup vegan shortening
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup SunButter (creamy)
- 2 tablespoon creamer or dairy free milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk hot coffee and cocoa powder, breaking up lumps. Let sit until 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk coconut milk, vinegar, oil and vanilla. Then whisk in hot coffee/cocoa mixture and add all of this to the dry mix. Stir until incorporated.
- Divide batter among liners and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- To make frosting, beat shortening until smooht and creamy. Add powdered sugar, SunButter and beat until combined. Drizzle in creamer/milk to reach desired, pipeable consistency. If too sweet, add a pinch of salt.
- Frost cooled cupcakes (I use a Wilton 1M tip).
*SunButter may need to be stirred well if there is oil separation.
**Recipe also works well using 1:1 GF Flour, such as Bob's Red Mill.
***In a hurry? Mix dry ingredients together, whisk wet ingredients into dry, THEN slowly pour in the hot coffee.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 243mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 1gSugar: 45gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is only an estimate based off of using an online calculator. Numbers will change depending on brands used.