These vegan Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies are buttery soft with nice crispy edges! Made with real pumpkin and packed with fall inspired spices, inside and out. Truly the perfect fall cookie!
The Best Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
I’ve had these Pumpkin Snickerdoodles on my mind for a while now and decided it was time to remake them. The original pictures are old and honestly, they are kind of embarrassing. But once I got started, it turned into “how can I perfect this pumpkin cookie”?
Well, with a few tweaks, I think I did it! These cookies are perfectly spiced with cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg and ground cloves. They are buttery, chewy in texture, soft in the middle with crackly, crispy edges. So good ya’ll and even better that they are still eggless, dairy-free and nut-free.
What You’ll Need for these Pumpkin Cookies
This recipe starts out with some familiar snickerdoodle cookie ingredients, but of course we’re amping up the festive flavors with some extra ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make these easy pumpkin cookies:
- Vegan unsalted butter: I recommend stick butter since the type in a tub contain higher water content.
- Sugars (white & brown): This mixture adds sweetness and moisture to these pumpkin snickerdoodles.
- Pumpkin puree: Pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Pure vanilla extract: Adds the best flavor.
- All-purpose flour: Spoon and level when measuring to avoid cakey cookies. (See notes for GF option.)
- Cream of tartar: Helps cookies to rise when reacting with baking soda.
- Baking soda: Essential for fluffy cookies.
- Salt: Balances out the sweetness.
- Spices (nutmeg, ground cloves, cinnamon, all spice and pumpkin pie spice): Intensifies the fall flavors, however, if you don’t have all the spices, you can substitute with more pumpkin pie spice.
How to Make Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies
This is another one of those simple to make, cookie recipes. The biggest thing to remember is that chilling the dough is required, so make sure you leave time for that.
- Whisk together butter and sugars. These cookies, start with melted butter that has been cooled back to room temperature. Once it has cooled, then the sugars are added. If the butter is hot, the sugars will melt, causing greasy, flat cookies.
- Add in pumpkin and vanilla.
- Mix dry ingredients. The essential cookie ingredients include: flour, baking soda, and salt. But to make pumpkin snickerdoodles, we add Cream of tartar to keep that classic snickerdoodle tang, then add a whole lot of spices – feel free to play with the amounts to suit your flavor preferences.
- Combine wet and dry. Mix the two until just combined, and the dry blend is incorporated.
- Roll cookie dough balls. Scoop and roll cookie dough into a ball. Roll the dough balls in the spiced sugar and chill. You can also chill the dough 30 minutes, then scoop and roll in sugar mixture. Either way works!
The result? Yummy, pumpkin spice cookies.
Tips for Soft & Chewy Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
Melt the butter, and let it cool: Don’t skip this step! We’re not talking about soft butter, but melted butter that is cool to the touch before using. Soft butter would create thicker, fluffier cookies. We want soft cookie that spread a little with perfect crackly edges,
Slightly flatten cookie dough balls: Roll pumpkin dough into a small ball (using an ice cream scoop ensures the same size) then flatten just a little. When the cookies bake, they will spread slightly, giving you perfect texture every time!
Chill baby chill: After rolling into cinnamon and sugar, these cookies require at least 30 minutes of chilling before they can and baked. This will prevent the cookies from spreading too much in the oven. IF your kitchen is warmer than usual and you find the dough is too sticky to roll, THEN chill first, scoop, roll in sugar mix then bake right away.
Looking for More Pumpkin Recipes
I hope these vegan Pumpkin Snickerdoodle cookies give you all the fall feels!!
If you liked this recipe or have any questions, leave a comment down below and giving this recipe a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ so that others may find this recipe!
As always, if you make something from the blog, be sure to tag @allergylicious on Instagram so I can see your creations. Also, follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest for more vegan & allergy friendly treats.
Easy, Delicious Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2/3 cup granulated cane sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1/4 cup + 2 TB pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (or 1:1 gluten free blend)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon EACH: nutmeg, ground cloves, allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Place the melted butter in a large bowl and allow it to fully cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, add in the sugars. Whisk until combined and smooth.
- Add in the pumpkin and the vanilla extract. Whisk again until incorporated together.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, cream of tartar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients together and whisk to combine, but don't over mix.
Form Cookie Dough Balls:
- Roll even sized balls of dough (approx 2 tablespoons in size).
- In a small bowl, make your coating by stirring together the white sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- Roll the balls of dough to generously coat in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Cover dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30-45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place dough on parchment or light colored silpat and leave 2" space between. Bake 9-13 minutes until lightly golden. I like to underbake mine for a softer center.
1:1 gluten free blend also works in place of All-purpose flour.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 100mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information is only an estimate based off of using an online calculator. Numbers will change depending on brands used.