Pumpkin & spice and everything nice….that’s what these Pumpkin Snickerdoodle cookies are made of.
Late at night, when the kids are finally home and in bed, I like to look through magazines (or Pinterest) to get inspired with ingredients, recipes or even food combinations. Most recipes don’t fit our dietary criteria, however, I look at how I can “tweak” it so that we can eat it (do you like how I rhymed right there?) Anyways,,,,, let’s say I come across a recipe this is actually “Vegan”. Most of the time, those recipes contain some type of nut for its base. If it’s “Gluten-free”, they usually contain eggs or dairy and if it’s dairy free, then it could have any number of ingredients that could be deemed “unsafe”. I haven’t even touched if its healthy or not.
Regardless what the recipe says, if it looks good to me, then I’m up for the challenge.
So, after thumbing through November’s Martha Stewart Living Magazine, I came across a recipe for Pumpkin Snickerdoodles. Now, I already love snickerdoodles, but these sounded absolutely amazing in all their pumpkin-y glory. I JUST had to try baking up a batch for myself, allergy-free of course!
Spice it up
Can you see that beautiful, light orange color? Pumpkin puree takes these “Christmas” cookies and turns them into a festive, fall treat. And don’t you just love all the spices ? Cinnamon, sugar, allspice and vanilla bean. It’s seriously going to be party with every bite! My Gluten-free Miami has a more festive version if your looking for a Christmas treat. Try her Gluten-free Peppermint Snickerdoodles.
Feel free to add a little extra spiced sugar after you’ve pressed out the dough. I won’t judge.
They’re gluten-free too
See how light and fluffy these Pumpkin Snickerdoodles are? I even used gluten-free flour for this recipe! The credit definitely has to go to the developing genius at Bob’s Red Mill! Their new 1-to-1 Gluten free baking flour mix has been a lifesaver. You can even use it in these Gluten-free Pumpkin Cookies by What the Fork. The Beaming Baker uses an oat & almond meal blend for her Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Bread which just shows other options for gluten-free blends. If gluten isn’t an issue in your home, just use the exact same amount of Unbleached All-Purpose Flour without any other changes.
Regardless of what flour you choose to use, the end result is the same. Delightful & cakey, sparkling and spiced Pumpkin Snickerdoodles.
You’re Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Recipe
- 2 C. Gluten free Flour (Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 stick softened vegan stick butter (Earth Balance Soy free)
- 1/2 C. organic cane sugar
- 1/2 C. canned organic pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie pilling)
- 1 flax egg (1 TB. flax meal + 3 TB. warm water, mix and let sit for 2 minutes)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 C. fine sanding sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line baking sheets with parchment.
- Make flax egg in a small bowl. 1 TB. ground flax meal mixed with 3 TB. warm water. Stir and let sit.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt & nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, mix together butter, cane sugar and pumpkin until smooth. Add flax egg and vanilla extract and combine.
- Add flour mixture and mix on low to combine. Stir sides if needed.
- In a small bowl whisk together find sugar, cinnamon and allspice.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2" sized balls then drop into sugar mix. Roll round to coat and transfer to lined baking sheet. Flatten each slightly to about 1/2" thick.
- Bake 12-14 minutes (rotate half-way through).
- Let cool on sheets completely before storing.
Flour options: Can substitute All-Purpose Flour in equal amounts to recipe. If using a different Gluten-Free blend, do not forget to add Xanthan Gum if required.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 87mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information is only an estimate based off of using an online calculator. Numbers will change depending on brands used.
Pin For Later