These vegan pumpkin pie bars are a deliciously easy to make, fall dessert. From the homemade shortbread cookie crust, to the creamy pumpkin pie filling, we’re taking pumpkin dessert to the next level. (Includes gluten-free option & paleo option)
Creamy, Pumpkin Pie Bars
It’s Pumpkin Pie Time and I’m so excited about this super simple recipe! I took two of my holiday favorites and combined them into one shareable dessert.
Pumpkin Pie has been a favorite of mine for as long as I can remember! Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack or throw it in a blender with some vegan ice cream and you’ve just made a Kick-a$$ milkshake. (I’m pretty excited about if you can’t tell). So it’s no wonder that I used it for the filling on these bars.
And the crust? DELISH! I took the my Grandma’s shortbread (the same recipe I used in my Twix Bars) and used it again as the crust for these pumpkin bar recipe. Buttery, slightly sweetened, melt-in-your-mouth good….it’s like eating a little bit of heaven.
Seriously ya’ll, if there’s one dessert that encompasses everything good and delicious about the fall season, it’s these vegan pumpkin pie bars.
This pumpkin pie bar recipe has it all:
- Smooth & creamy
- Spiced perfectly
- Sweetened just right
- Easy to make
- Dairy free, Egg free, Peanut Free
- Easy to Make
- & Crazy good!
These bars would make the perfect dessert to bring along to holiday gatherings. They’re so much easier to make than a traditional pie, without compromising all the flavors you know and love!
How to make vegan shortbread crust:
There is nothing complicated when it comes to making the base of these pumpkin bars. Just toss butter, powdered sugar, flour, cornstarch and vanilla extract in a food processor and pulse to form a dough. Press into a parchment lined baking pan, poke with some holes and partial-bake then place onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Suuuuuuper easy to make!
How to make the pumpkin pie filling and bake?
The filling for our pumpkin pie bars is as easy as throwing all the ingredients into a bowl (or food processor) and mixing them all together.
Pumpkin pie filling consists of:
- Pumpkin puree
- Full fat coconut milk from a can
- Maple syrup or Brown Rice syrup
- Light brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- Pinch of salt
- Vanilla extract
- A beautiful blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves to finish it off
Now, just pour the pumpkin pie filling over top of the cooled shortbread crust, and place into the oven to bake! (for the full recipe, including the ingredient quantities, scroll down to the bottom of the page.)
A few notes on the recipe:
🔸The recipe uses a shortbread cookie base made with AP flour, but if you can make this gluten-free by substituting with a 1:1 gluten free blend. To make paleo-friendly, use 1 cup almond flour + 1/2 cup coconut flour.
🔸For the filling, I always use canned pure pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie mix which already includes spices and more. Be sure to purchase the correct one.
🔸You can substitute any type of plant-based milk for the coconut milk in this recipe, but I’d recommend Flax milk from Good Karma. If using another milk like rice or soy, the bars may not come out as thick and creamy.
If you’re really into all things pumpkin pie like myself, check out my other recipes:
I hope this Pumpkin-y delight brings a smile to your face!
If you liked this recipe or have any questions, leave a comment down below and giving this recipe a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ so that others may find this recipe!
As always, if you make something from the blog, be sure to tag @allergylicious on Instagram so I can see your creations. Also, follow along with me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more vegan & allergy friendly
Dreamy, Easy Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter at room temp
- 1 cup flour (All-purpose or Bob's 1:1 Gluten free blend)*
- 1/3 cup vegan confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch (or arrowroot)
- Pure Vanilla extract
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 2 1/2 cups pure pumpkin pie puree
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (full-fat)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (can sub with coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice**
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment, leaving overhang the set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, cutting in the butter until crumbly mixture forms (you can also use a food processor and pulse until combined).
- Transfer to prepared baking pan and press down with your fingertips to form an even, flat layer. Poke dough about a dozen times in different spots with fork then bake. Bake 8-10 minutes or until crust has lightly set and golden (but not brown) and let cool.
- Add pumpkin pie filling ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until creamy. Test mixture for sweetness and spice then adjust if more if desired. Pour filling into pan and spread evenly to the edges.
- Bake at 350° F for 35 minutes. Remove and let cool then transfer to refrigerator for 1-2 hours to set and chill.
- Cut into desired sized squares or bars and serve. Tip with vegan whip or caramel sauce for extra yum!
Make Paleo: sub flour with a combination of 1 cup almond flour + 1/2 cup coconut flour.
Pumpkin Pie Spice: Mix together to make your own then measuring accordingly.
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 77Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 55mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information is only an estimate based off of using an online calculator. Numbers will change depending on brands used.