Creamy Vegan Potato Au Gratin is comfort food at it’s best.
Turns out, Potato Au Gratin is NOT the same thing as Scalloped Potatoes! Did you know that?
While these two yummy, creamy potato dishes have some similarities, they are uniquely different in a few ways.
Scalloped potatoes = thicker sliced potatoes, cooked in a creamy sauce.
Potatoes Au Gratin = thinly sliced tubers, covered with breadcrumbs or cheese then baked until brown.
Both of these are gooey delicious, but the main difference is the addition of cheese.
If you are a regular on the blog, you know that I love potatoes! Mashed potatoes, Hasselback Baby Potatoes, Papas Nachos (Mexican French Fries), Creamy Potato Soup, Savory Potato Breakfast Bowl…I could continue, but you get the point. Potatoes are GOOD MOOD FOOD in the Dawson house.
The only difference in our recipes are that they need to be allergy-friendly & vegan. Therefore, no dairy, eggs or nuts can be used and gluten is to be avoided as well. That being said, this Potato Au Gratin plays by its own rules. It is has both a creamy filling and a slightly melty, crunchy topping, but ours has melted layers of cheese between each row of potatoes. YUM!
Crunchy Potato Au Gratin
The other difference with this recipe is that I not only added a layer of Ian’s Gluten-free Panko Breadcrumbs on the top of it all, I also added a layer of crumbs to the base as well. The end result is fabulous. The crumbs on the bottom turned into a doughy, dumpling like base with layers of potato cheese goodness sitting on top. Each bite is a treat in itself and one you will want to keep in your dinner rotation.
With Christmas coming up next week, this may be the perfect day to showcase this comforting side dish.
You’re gonna want seconds of this Creamy Potato Au GratinPrint
Potato Au Gratin are an ultimate comfort food and makes a perfect side dish for any meal, including holiday get-togethers. Top with Ian’s gluten-free bread crumbs for an extra bit of crunch.
- 6 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter (Earth Balance Soy Free)
- 4 tablespoons gluten-free flour (Bob’s 1-to-1 Gluten-free)
- 3 cups dairy-free milk (we used Good Karma Flax milk)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon, fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup shredded, dairy-free Mozzarella Cheese (Daiya or So Delicious)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (Ian’s Original Panko Crumbs)
- Lightly grease 9″x13″ casserole dish with vegan butter and sprinkle bottom with 1/4 cup of Ian’s panko bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Peel and slice potatoes to equal approximately 6 cups, placing in a large bowl of cold water to keep from turning brown.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter. Add gluten-free flour and stir for just minute, making a thick paste. Pour in dairy-free milk then bring to a low boil, while continuing to stir. Add in paprika, salt and pepper then lower heat to low and simmer about 10-15 minutes until thicker and smooth.
- Meanwhile, arrange sliced potatoes in a single layer covering the bread crumbs. Sprinkle with dairy-free cheese. Repeat with another layer of potatoes and cheese. Depending on size of pan, you may have 3 layers.
- Sprinkle final layer with cheese then pour the sauce all over the top. Top with 1/4 cup of gluten-free crumbs. Loosely cover with foil.
- Bake 60 minutes then uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes, as it will continue to thicken. Sprinkle with fresh herbs of choice.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $3.87Was: $3.96
PIN FOR LATER
A special thank you to Ian’s for sending their Gluten-Free Panko Breadcrumbs to use in our Potato Au Gratin recipe. I was pleasantly surprised at how light & airy they are while still being allergy-friendly! Made with no wheat or gluten, no milk or casein, no eggs & no nuts – almost everyone can enjoy this culinary favorite! You can find it here on Amazon.
If you like this recipe & want to see more like this, subscribe to Allergylicious & to get every new recipe sent to your inbox first! You can also follow me on Facebook , Instagram & Pinterest sharing the newest, delicious, allergy-friendly foods.2