Papas Nachos- this is what would happen if french fries and nachos had a baby!
What better way to kick off the weekend, than with football games, end of Summer pool parties and Papas Nachos!
What? You’ve never heard of Papas Nachos before? Don’t worry, I hadn’t either until I went to Mexico. But if you like loaded nachos and you like french fries, then your taste buds are in for a treat.
Papas Nachos are crispy baked french fries, covered in layers of delicious mexican-dip favorites. You could actually call these Mexican French Fries, but I think Papas Nachos is more fun and authentic. When I first saw these on the menu, I was already thinking about how I could make them “Xander friendly”. I knew there was a way, there’s always a way! So, I took a picture of it so I couldn’t forget and put it on my “must make” list. And let me tell you, it’s still amazing, without all that other stuff.
By using potatoes instead of corn or flour tortillas, this appetizer is gluten-free and with a little help from my favorite vegan products (Daiya and Tofutti) it’s also free of dairy and eggs and can be soy-free as well. Who needs all those allergens to make a delicious appetizer, I know I don’t. No one will miss any of it and you can be thinking “I told you so” in your head the whole time they’re all chowing down.
But that’s just the base, so hang on for the best part! The toppings……
- vegan refried beans
- chopped tomatoes & red onions
- avocado mashed with a little taco seasoning and lemon juice
- salsa I like mine spicy
- sour cream (for dairy free, we choose Tofutti-contains soy or Daiya- soy free)
- cheese sauce (Daiya for the win)
You can make it extra fancy and serve on a pretty wooden plate, topped with sliced jalapeños for everyone to share.
Or you can serve it in a disposable bowl and eat the whole darn thing yourself! Whatever makes you happy! I kinda like the single bowl idea myself 🙂
So, are you ready for it? Drumroll please……..
Grab some Papas Nachos todayPrint
“The heartiest, most delicious allergy-friendly twist on nachos I’ve ever had. Crispy organic french fries, fresh avocado mash, refried beans, salsa, sour cream and diced tomatoes layered with a quick and easy vegan melted cheese.
- 1 large bag of Organic French Fries (or use your own homemade fry recipe)
- Refried Beans- canned (mild, regular or hot),
- Tofutti Sour Cream
- Avocado mash (mash with 1 TB. lemon juice + 1 tsp. taco seasoning)
- 1 large Tomato (chopped)
- Daiya cheddar cheese shreds
- Daiya mozzarella cheese shreds
- Dairy free milk
- Jalapeño slices
- Preheat oven and bake french fries according to package instructions (typically 30-40 minutes).
- While fries are baking, heat up your beans
- Dice the tomatoes & set aside.; In a medium bowl, peel and pit the avocado then mash. Pour 1 TB lemon juice on top then sprinkle with 1-2 tsp. taco seasoning. Mix all together, cover & refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make your cheese sauce (see below)
- Remove fries from oven and plate.
- Top with heated beans and cheese sauce. Add mashed avocado, salsa, diced tomatoes, sour cream and jalapeños if desired.
- Eat and enjoy right away.
- In a sauce pan, lightly coat with spray then add in 1/4 cup of mozzarella and 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shreds. Allow cheese to melt on low and add in up to 1/4 cup of non-dairy milk to make more smooth and spreadable.
This is your recipe so add whatever toppings you like. Chopped onions, black olives, charred red peppers, ….the options are limited only by your imagination
- Category: Appetizer, Entree, Lunch, Salad, Sides, Appetizer, Snack, Vegan & Gluten Free
- Cuisine: Gluten Free, Vegan, Kid Friendly, Mexican, Vegan, Vegan, Gluten Free & Top 8 Free
Join in the Fun
With Summer ending and football season starting, does that make you happy or sad? And what are you most looking forward to this Fall?
What teams are you cheering for (college/pro)? What is your “go-to” foods for game-day?
What is 1 dish you tried elsewhere that you changed up to fit your food restrictions?
Don’t forget to share your answers below,,, It’s much more fun when everyone participates 🙂