This creamy potato soup is feel good, comfort food to keep you warm and bring a smile to your lips.
Crazy Oklahoma weather! Last week it was “puffy coats, layers & boots” kinda of weather and this week, it’s been hitting the 70’s! Is it like that where you live? Although I love the warmer weather and the way the sun feels on my face, I do like to take advantage of the cold days by making foods that are extra rich & comforting, that warm you from the inside out, like this Creamy Potato Soup.
21-Day Dairy-Free Challenge
This recipe actually came about as a result of So Delicious’ 21-Day Dairy-free Challenge. Although we already eat dairy-free, I wanted to create something different, something that would make my kids extra happy, something that even my dairy, cheese & bacon lovin’ friends would rave about! Because it is after all, still completely vegan.
Making the Switch
I use to love creamy potato soup and I use to love bacon. That all changed when I went vegan. We obviously cut out dairy and eggs initially because of my son’s allergies, but I felt like a reverse vegetarian…only eating meat and not the other stuff. After completing a 30 day fast, I had removed all meat and realized just how good I felt. I also studied a TON as I was being certified as a Health Coach and just couldn’t go back. Bye-bye bacon. Bye-bye red meat. Bye-bye animal protein.
Don’t feel bad for me though :). I know a few of my friends make a “frowny” face when they hear I don’t eat bacon. I actually don’t miss it! Plus, when I want that salty, smoky flavor, there’s vegan options out there like Lightlife Smart Bacon. And did you know that Bac’n Bits & Baco’s contain no bacon? You can totally do this vegan thing!
Especially when you can still have a creamy potato soup like this one! I can guarantee that you’ll fall in love with the first spoonful. My kids loved it so much that they ate it for dinner, took it for school lunch the next day, had a small bowl as a snack and then asked me to make it again! Speaking of creamy potato soups, take a look at this Vegetarian Mamma’s Instant Pot Cheesy Potato Leek Soup. You can also make this dairy-free by switching to DF cheese.
Yummmm, look at that bowl of soup! You know you want some right now, don’t you? It’s calling your name…I can hear it from here.
Let’s Make It
- 1 package of "bacon" (I used Lifelight Vegan Bacon)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 lbs. golden potatoes, clean and diced (keep skin on for extra nutrients)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/3 cup gluten-free flour (can also use All-purpose)
- 1 container culinary coconut milk, regular (So Delicious Dairy-free)
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese (Daiya, shredded)
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese (Daiya or Tofutti)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, add diced potatoes, red onion & vegetable stock. Bring to medium high heat and let cook until potatoes are softened.
- While potatoes are simmering, cook bacon until crisp according to directions. Then chop or break into smaller pieces and set aside.
- In the pan you cooked the bacon in, start to make your roux. Melt butter in pan on medium-low. Whisk in flour until smooth and buttery, then add in coconut milk. Continue to whisk and blend in flour. Pour into potato soup and mix.
- Add cream cheese and shredded cheese and continue to stir until combined and melted. Toss in cooked bacon bits (reserve 1/4 cup) and stir.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve nice and hot. Sprinkle with extra cheese if desired, bacon bits, chopped green onions and even a little crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat.
Soup will thicken as it rests. Add a little extra stock, dairy free milk or even a little water when reheating to make more soupy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 474Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 757mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g
Nutritional information is only an estimate based off of using an online calculator. Numbers will change depending on brands used.
Craving More Soup Recipes…
Looking for a few more soup recipes that are easy to make and OH so delicious? How about: