These Vegan Pumpkin Cupcakes are incredibly delicious, perfectly spiced and topped off with homemade cream cheese frosting. Gluten-free & Nut-Free too!
Happy Fall Ya’ll!
The kids are back in school and fall decorations are filling the store aisles, which means it’s time for football, comfy warm sweaters, falling leaves, and everything pumpkin!
I made these orange delights Saturday afternoon before family & friends came over for dinner but I should have known to wait until Sunday, because these pumpkin cupcakes weren’t going to make it through the end of that first night.
My Dad has this God-given “dessert radar” and instantly knew something delicious was in the fridge. Then Mom, sweetly reminded me that “anytime I make something sweet, be sure to give some to Dad”. The kids then chimed in on cue and asked “have you taken pictures for the blog yet ? Do you need ALL of the cupcakes?” Meanwhile….over the island counter… friends with sad puppy dog eyes were gazing at me, awaiting a response. And not a moment later…they were gone!
Of course, I did indulge in one delightful little pumpkin cupcake myself. I mean, if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em!
AND IT WAS SOOO WORTH IT! Worth making another batch, worth waiting an extra day to take photos but more importantly, worth seeing the smiles on their faces and hearing how much they enjoyed every bite.
I think you’re going to LOVE every bite of these pumpkin cupcakes too! They’re:
Light & Fluffy
Covered in silky cream cheese frosting
& Simply Dreamy
“Free-From” Pumpkin Cupcakes
Since we have so many food restrictions in our home, they’re also:
Peanut & Tree Nut Free (does contain coconut)
Which make these cupcakes perfect for sharing with friends, serving at tail-gating parties, fall festivals, birthday parties, Halloween or even Thanksgiving Day dessert!
More Pumpkin Recipes
Because this is the season of all things pumpkin, here’s a few more treats to add to your list to make soon.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and don’t forget to tag a picture #allergylicious on Instagram! I’d love to see what you come up with.
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 2 cups 1-to-1 gluten-free flour blend (sub with all-purpose flour if not gluten-free)
- 1 cup vegan cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice*
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk, shaken well
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with 16 cupcake liners. (You can also use a 12-cup and a 6-cup).
- Ina large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Ina medium bowl, whisk together liquids: pumpkin puree, coconut milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to the dry and whisk just until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full with batter. Bake 16-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of cupcake.
- Allow to cool before spreading with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Scrape down the sides and mix at medium speed for another 20 seconds. Decrease speed to low and add the confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time, stopping and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Once it is all combined, whip 1 more minute on high speed and set aside.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate if you need it to set up a little more before using.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes before serving.
*Make your own pumpkin pie spice with: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon cloves, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
**Cupcakes can be made in advance and frozen for up to 1 month. Simply thaw and frost before serving.