Every bite of this luscious Chocolate Cream Pie is sooooo creamy, dreamy good! No one will believe it’s vegan & naturally gluten-free.
This is a sponsored post, written by me on behalf of Enjoy Life Foods. All opinions are my own.
CELEBRATING FOOD ALLERGIES
May is an important month for most of us. Not only is it when we celebrate Mother’s Day, the end of the school year and graduation, but it’s also Celiac Awareness Month and Food Allergy Action Week.
These last two are especially important because it raises awareness for the gluten-free and food allergy communities and helps bring our everyone together, reminding us we are not alone in this food journey.
For us, our food allergy story started with my son who was diagnosed at 2mo with an anaphylactic dairy allergy. By the time he was 10 months old, we learned it also included peanuts, most tree nuts, eggs, and shellfish. (You can read our story here). Today, he is a happy and healthy 12 yo, living with food allergies but I can honestly say that having allergy-safe products available, like Enjoy Life Foods, has been a game changer on making life easier and more delicious.
ENJOY LIFE FOODS
The very first food my son loved and requested daily, were Enjoy Life’s Cocoa Loco Bars. Back then, we could only find them in 1 local store and I’m pretty sure I bought them out every time. 🤣 Today, not only has their list of products grown, but they have also become widely available….and for good reason! People not only LOVE their allergy-friendly line, but they also NEED them.
Enjoy Life products are certified gluten-free, free-from 14 common allergens, verified Non-GMO, and certified kosher. They are also certified vegan (which I ❤️) and FODMAP Friendly. A handful are certified paleo-friendly as well! What I also love, is that their products are made with quality ingredients, whole grains, no artificial ingredients, real chocolate, etc. AND produced with allergen testing to ensure that strict standards are being met and that our community can trust what we make. Talk about a product you can feel good about eating and sharing with others!
DELICIOUS ALLERGY-FRIENDLY DESSERTS
I never sought out to make this a dessert blog, but it seems to have just happened along the way. It was just an outlet to share the “free-from” recipes I had been created just in case it could help someone else. AND then it grew. It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one who finds it hard to resist the beauty of a cake, the cuteness of a cupcake or the emotional connection that comes from the smell of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.
It’s also hard to resist a decadent, dairy-free chocolate custard topped with coco whip and chocolate chips, inside a crushed cookie crust. That my friends, is what I’m bringing to you today. A dreamy, Chocolate Cream Pie dessert that is guaranteed to please! It’s also made with Enjoy Life Foods chocolate chips & crunchy chocolate cookies. 😉
CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE REVIEWS
I typically prefer vanilla based desserts but this gluten-free chocolate cream pie is light and airy and has quickly become one of my favorite desserts! Don’t take my word for it, just check out what my taste testers had to say:
- “Omg yummm. Used to loveeee chocolate pie before going gf. Haven’t had it since.” – Jordan
- “This is AMAZING!!!! Seriously one of my favorite things you’ve made!!! Loveeeee.” – Jenn (just loves yummy food)
- “Oh!!!! I want the crust on everything.”- Lesley (also gf& df)
- “I loved it! The best part was watching my kiddo and hubby fight over the last bite! 😂.”- Kristin (kiddo is gf)
Guys, you can make this today and be enjoying a slice in no time. This recipe isn’t hard to perfect. Not if you follow the simple steps required to make it! And I’ve made a little video for you so you can see how easy it truly is.
Watch how to make it
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT CHOCOLATE PIE CRUST
To make this easy chocolate pie, you must start with an irresistible homemade chocolate cookie crust. And it doesn’t get easier than this. Simply process together Enjoy Life Foods Double Chocolate Crunchy Cookies (affiliate link) and melted vegan butter until nice and crumbly. This all gets pressed down into a pie plate then into the oven for 10 minutes. (Keep reading ⏬ for tips & tricks).
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT VEGAN CHOCOLATE PIE FILLING
While your crust is cooling, time to make your next layer of chocolate. This eggless chocolate filling is made right on the cooktop. Simply bring coconut milk, sugar and salt to a low boil then stir in Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chips (#affiliate link) until melty and smooth.
Because this recipe doesn’t use eggs to thicken up this cream, you’ll need to add a little mixture of cornstarch/arrowroot & dairy-free milk then whisk continuously over medium heat until it’s thick and creamy.
After making this 3 times, I found that the best results came from throwing this creamy mixture into the blender for about 30 seconds on high. I’m not sure if this is true or not, but I felt like it created some air bubbles that helped create a truly light and luscious cream.
All that chocolate-y goodness gets poured into that chocolate cookie crust. You could substitute a graham cracker or even a pie crust if you really wanted to but remember those reviews above? They wanted “this crust on everything”!
To finish it off, you add fresh coco whip and a sprinkling of more mini chocolate chips.
Trust me, this chocolate cream pie tastes as good as it looks!
TIPS FOR MAKING DAIRY-FREE CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
- Use the bottom of a measuring cup to press cookie crumbs into the pie plate. This creates a sturdy and perfectly pressed base for all that deliciousness going on top.
- Speaking of deliciousness, you could be extra fancy and pipe that whipped cream onto the pie instead of just spreading it. Although it looks fancy, it will postpone how quickly you dive into a slice of chocolate cream pie. Not sure if it’s worth it 🤣
- Don’t have time to make your own whipped topping? No problem at all! Reddi-Whip now has cans of dairy-free whip & So Delicious makes a yummy whipped topping made from coconut No judgment here! And truth be told … when I’m in a time crunch, I’m using So Delicious.
- Use a large, sharp knife to cut the pie into slices for serving and wipe the knife between each slice for cleaner servings.
FOR MORE DECADENT CHOCOLATE DESSERTS, CHECK OUT:
- Chocolate Popcorn Pie
- Chocolate SunButter Mousse Pie
- Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
- The Best Fruit Dip
CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE RECIPE
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #allergylicious on Instagram. HAPPY BAKING!
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs (1 box Enjoy Life Foods Double Chocolate Crunchy Cookies)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
Make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°. then lightly grease a 9" pie pan.
- Place cookies and melted butter in a food processor and pulse until combined and crumbly. Press evenly and firmly into prepared pan, making sure to spread crumbs up the sides. Bake 10 minutes then cool completely (I place in the fridge to speed up the process).
Make the Filling:
- In a small bowl, mix dairy-free milk and cornstarch with a whisk and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together canned coconut milk, sugar and salt then heat on medium high until just boiling. Reduce to low then stir in chocolate chips. Let cook while whisking until smooth. Increase heat to medium and slowly add cornstarch mixture into the pan while still whisking. Let cook until the mixture is thick, like pudding (5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and if necessary, add pudding mixture to a blender and puree 30 seconds to make totally smooth and pourable.
Assemble the pie:
- Pour filling into cooled cookie crust. Let pie cool completely the chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours (or overnight).
- Top with Coconut Whipped Cream and garnish with mini chocolate chips.
SHOP MY KITCHEN
(This post contains affiliate links. See my disclosure policy for affiliate links here)18