Buttery cookie crust, inspired by Grandma’s homemade shortbread, layered with a not-too-sweet, dairy free chocolate fudge and of course it’s vegan, gluten-free and allergy friendly.
The months of October and November are always busy month in our home. We celebrated the adoption date of my oldest, then a week later, the birthdays of our other 2 children, who are a day apart. Throw in a friend’s birthday party, a Halloween party, then Thanksgiving and needless to say, it’s not only busy but its full of sweets and treats, like these amazing bars. Shortbread Fudge Bars, to be exact!
I actually made these for my youngest as he was heading to that birthday party I mentioned earlier. One of his best friends share his birthday and had this really cool “Art” themed party with adorable cupcakes that looked like they were splashed with a canvas of colors. Unfortunately, they were not “allergy-safe” and I needed to bring an allergy free dessert for X-man.
I don’t know if you have ever been in that situation or not, but if you or your child have a restrictive diet, it can kinda stink to sit and watch everyone else eating cake or cupcakes while you’re chomping on a fruit kabob as a consolation treat. And although there are worse things in life to go through, I understand that for my son, this is a HUGE deal and so I choose to make it a little easier for him. I choose to make an AMAZING allergy-friendly dessert, whatever the celebration, so he can enjoy a treat like everyone else and not feel left out.
This time around, our Shortbread Fudge Bars came to the rescue. It combines two of our favorites, Grandma’s shortbread and chocolate fudge, made from Enjoy Life Foods chocolate chips . Was it a HIT!!! Not only did my little guy absolutely love having his own special treat, but also, his friends couldn’t resist these bars either. You know you have something good when your friends tell you they’d go vegan with desserts like this.
Shortbread Fudge Bars are so simple to make! Just watch it here:
Super easy, right?
- Fudge (added homemade caramel if desired)
- Shortbread crumbles
Made with Allergy-friendly ingredients
I originally made this with all-purpose flour but switched to 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour a few years ago. Just know that both options give you a wonderful, buttery, flaky shortbread base, so you won’t miss out on flavor or texture if you are making this gluten-free.
Oh, and don’t forget to save a bit of the dough so you can add it as a crumbly top layer.
The most delicious part of this recipe is the chocolate fudge, made with 3 ingredients: coconut milk, Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips & brown sugar.
When its liquid gold (or melted chocolate), simply pour on top of the shortbread layer. But just a note of warning….keep the kids away because this fudgy topping may not make it to the cookie base if they get a taste of it beforehand. It’s seriously that good!
Then, use the remaining shortbread batter and crumble on top (kinda like a cobbler topping).
Bake, cool then refrigerate. And don’t forget the refrigerate part because while its sitting, the magic happens. That warm, rich chocolate middle layer sets into a fudge-like center. So you’ll just have to be patient and plan ahead, or at least throw this together the night before and “WOW’ your loved ones the next day.
The hardest part is waiting, but it’s sooooo worth it!
Let’s get bakingPrint
Not-too-sweet, cookie bars made with a rich and buttery shortbread crust, layered with chocolate fudge.
- 2 C. 1-to-1 gluten-free flour blend * (or all-purpose flour)
- 1 C. dairy free butter (Earth Balance, soy free butter sticks)
- 1/2 C. organic brown cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pink himalayan salt
- 3/4 C. canned coconut milk (stirred well before measuring)
- 10 oz (1 bag) dairy free chocolate chips (Enjoy Life mini-chips)
- 1/4 C. organic brown cane sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Line 8″ square pan with parchment paper and allow for extra to overhang the edges.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, butter, 1/2 C. brown sugar and salt until crumbly but blended. Reserve 1/2 cup and set aside. Press remaining dough into the prepared pan.
- In a medium saucepan, combine coconut milk, chocolate chips and 1/4 C. brown sugar. Stir over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and pour filling over shortbread crust.
- Crumble reserved dough over the top in large and small clumps.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before refrigerating 8 hours.
- Once set, pull ends of parchment paper to release the bars and set on counter to cut into squares.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: easy fudge, chocolate, bar, bakery, vegan fudge, gluten free fudge, allergy-friendly
This sponsored post was created through my partnership with Enjoy Life Foods. As always, all opinions are my own. Collaborating with brands I love allows me to keep bringing you new and varied recipes! Thanks for your support!
Craving More Chocolate Treats?
Here are a few hard-to-resist desserts made with Enjoy Life Foods that I know you’ll love as well.50