Who needs cake when you’ve got this no-bake, Funfetti Rice Krispie Cake. The gooey snack time favorite gets a dessert upgrade with sprinkles and frosting! And did I mention, it’s also vegan and allergy-friendly? WIN-WIN!
Oh, Rice Krispie Treats! A yummy childhood memory!
I was always fond of this cereal, but my favorite thing to do was make beloved rice krispie treats with my mom. Melted marshmallows, buttery flavor and crispy rice, all swirling together in each gooey bite – dang it was so good!
Too good not to share! Except today, I’m making a Funfetti Rice Krispie Treat Cake to brighten your day!
Are Rice Krispies Vegan or Gluten-free?
Sadly, no to both! Rice Krispies cereal IS made from rice, which is naturally vegan & gluten-free, but because it contains Vitamin D3 (derived from animals) and malt flavoring (which is from barley), the cereal itself is neither.
Thankfully, there are other options available that allow me to indulge a little!
One Degree, Erewhon and Barbara’s Organic all made brown rice cereal which are V&GF. Just check allergen information, such as nut-free to pick the safest option for you.
And let’s not forget marshmallows! Non-vegan marshmallows have gelatin which is a deal breaker, so we use Dandies. These are also gluten-free but they do contain soy.
Fancy Rice Krispie Treats
Inspiration comes from a lot of places and this one was inspired by the baking show “Nailed It”. Watching them build pliable shapes and sculpted cakes using rice cereal got my wheels turning! Today, I decided to keep it simple, yet make it fancy and create a layered celebration cake out of Rice Krispies Treats.
How to Make a Birthday Cake out of Rice Krispie Treats
You’ll need a big box (12 cups worth) of crispy cereal for this cake, and a whole bunch of mini marshmallows (3 bags)! It makes the finished cake soft, which means it’s easy to cut. The texture is just as crispy and chewy as you’d imagine.
I used 6-Inch pans to form the layers of this cake. You can also use three 7-inch pans, but keep in mind the overall cake will be a wider and a little shorter.
Then you need just enough buttercream to stick the three treat layers together. The marshmallow already makes the cake sweet, so I didn’t want to over-do-it with loads of buttercream. I did, however, want to add some glam to my cake by coloring each frosting layer and adding sprinkles throughout! Who doesn’t love sprinkles?
Steps to Make Rice Krispie Treat Cake
As far as cakes go, this one is pretty quick to make. There’s no baking involved, just melting the vegan butter & marshmallows on the stove top. Mix in the cereal and add sprinkles.
It’s really that easy! THEN:
- Divide between the three cake pans.
- Let it cool down at least 30 minutes, so frosting won’t melt.
- Grab a cake platter and start layering. Cake-frosting-repeat!
Decorating your No-Bake Cereal Cake
Funfetti rice krispie cake is totally customizable! Choose colored frosting and sprinkles to match the holiday, like Sweetapolita’s Birthday Party Vegan Sprinkles (also gluten free). So if you are looking for a way to celebrate the day, or really craving Rice Krispy Treats – this cake is for you!
You May Also Like:
Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treats
Chocolate SunButter Crisp Cups
Vegan Rice Krispie Treat Cake
The gooey snack time favorite gets a serious dessert upgrade with frosting and sprinkles. (vegan, nut-free, gf option)
- 12 cups brown rice crisp cereal
- 3 bags mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup vegan stick butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkles of choice
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dairy-free milk or cream (optional)
- food coloring (optional)
- Prepare three 6-inch spring-form pans with non-stick; set aside.
- Put Rice Krispy Cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter in an extra-large pot over medium heat. Add marshmallows; stir until melted. Mix in vanilla extract.
- Add marshmallow mixture to Krispy cereal and mix until everything is coated. Let sit a minute then stir in sprinkles.
- Evenly divide and cereal between cake pans. I like to spray hands with non-stick cooking spray and press down until the layers are tightly packed and have an even topI
- Refrigerate cake layers in the pans, about 30 minutes.
Rice Krispie Cake
- In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat butter and shortening until smooth.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Mix until light and fluffy. If adding color, divide into bowls and stir in coloring until desired color achieved.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag/s fitted with a large star tip; set aside.
- Unmold cake layers.
- Secure one layer of rice krispie cake onto a cake plate with a dollop of frosting. Spread a layer of frosting in the center and pipe stars along the edge of the cake.
- Carefully add the second layer and repeat process.
- Do the same with the third layer and then add sprinkles on top.
- Let cake come to room temperature before cutting. Use a large chef's knife to cut the cake into slices.
*Can be made using regular butter, marshmallows and cereal.
**Save a step and use store-bought frosting.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
How fun! I love all the sprinkles and dairy-free buttercream frosting 🙂 So pretty!! Gonna save this for my birthday