This post is sponsored by SunButter.
It’s pretty obvious that my favorite nut-free butter is SunButter and I just love creating desserts with it. So this SunButter icebox cake is a result of trying to create another way to use it and bring in all the other flavors I adore.
This vegan icebox cake just might be the perfect dessert combination.
What’s an Icebox Cake?
If you’ve never heard of icebox cake before, it’s a super easy no bake treat that’s pretty customizable too. It usually has layers of whipped cream topping between graham crackers (but we decided to use pretzels for extra crunch). Then after assembling the layers, the cake gets placed into the freezer until you’re ready to serve.
Easy peasy, right?
You can usually find icebox cakes in a variety of flavors too. Some are made with whipped cream and fresh fruit. Sometimes it’s mostly ice cream and chocolate. But today, we’re making SunButter icebox cake with vegan whipped topping.
Ingredients for SunButter Icebox Cake
You’re going to love just how simple these ingredients are!
- gluten free pretzel sticks or regular if not gluten free
- dairy free cool whip (I always SO Delicious) or regular cool whip or even ice cream!!!
- SunButter (No Sugar Added or variety of choice)
- coconut milk (from the can) or dairy-free creamer
- dairy free chocolate chips or regular
How to assemble a freezer cake
You layer everything in a pan, top it with extra whipped cream and then freeze it. After a 30-60 minutes, the filling sets up so it’s nice and easy to slice. Trust me when I say that this is an absolutely delicious dessert!
(The photo below shows how I first made this, but next time,I’m putting the whip on the bottom to hold in the pretzel bits).
Variety of flavor & texture
I’m not sure what I love most about this dairy-free icebox cake. Maybe it is the textural component – Light and fluffy whipped topping, crunchy pretzels, creamy SunButter and chocolate ganache. OR, it could the swirls of salty & sweet dancing on my tongue after each bite. Whatever it is, I LOVE IT and I know you will too!
- If you prefer an actual ice-cream base icebox cake, then I recommend adding a layers of dairy-free ice cream in place of the whipped topping.
- Although I highly recommend trying this recipe with crushed pretzels, you can easily use any flavor of graham crackers or any type of crunchy cookie, like Oreos.
- Adding a layer of smashed berries would also be a fabulous idea.
- Top it off with whipped cream and for an extra bonus, try sprinkling with crushed SunCups, chocolate chips or fresh berries.
I brought out this allergy-friendly dessert when hosting our friends and their little girl came in and said “What is this delicious dessert I put in my mouth?”. I can’t wait for you to scream with joy too!
- 3 cups pretzels, gluten free if needed
- 9 oz SO Delicious Whipped Topping (1 tub)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk from the can or dairy-free creamer
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup SunButter (no sugar added or variety of choice)
Prepare a loaf pan (9x5) or (6x6) square with plastic wrap or parchment paper.
Add the chocolate chips to a bowl and set aside while you place the coconut milk into a small sauce pan and turn on medium heat. Once the milk is boiling, transfer to the bowl. Let sit for 3-5 minutes and then stir smooth. Let cool.
Place a thin layer of the whip at the bottom of the pan (about 1/4 inch), layer with dollops of SunButter, chocolate ganache and then crushed pretzels. Repeat until you reach the top of the pan, ending in whip. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 4+ hours. To remove from the pan, use a butter knife to loosen the sides before attempting to remove.
*Vegan Ice cream can be used in place of the whipped topping (or in combination).
**Graham crackers or crunchy cookies can be used as a layer instead of pretzel crumble.