Luxuriously rich and creamy, roasted banana ice cream with a bit of chocolate, made with just 6 ingredients for a delicious homemade vegan and gluten-free ice cream treat.
This post is sponsored by Nielsen-Massey. I received product to create this recipe for you all as part of their #NielsenMasseyInspires Summer Campaign.
It’s National Ice Cream Month and with temperature heating up, what better way to cool down than with a bowl of refreshing homemade ice cream.🍦
Not only is this banana ice cream over-the-top delicious, it’s also naturally low in fat. The thick texture of the puréed bananas makes it incredibly rich and creamy without the addition of eggs or heavy cream. All the more reason to try it!
How To Make Banana Ice Cream [Video]
My son and I had fun shooting this little video for you on Tik Tok. As you can see, this ice cream is quite easy to make.
Recommended Ingredients & Equipment
You only need a few simple ingredients for roasted banana ice cream! Better yet, they are ingredients you likely have on hand.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Bananas (of course!) – I like using bananas that are a little overripe, meaning they already have a few brown spots on them. They are sweeter and softer and richer in flavor.
- Coconut Milk & Cream– Full fat coconut milk makes the perfect dairy-free base for homemade ice cream. It’s rich and creamy and works with so many flavor combinations. This recipe calls for full-fat canned coconut milk & cream for the extra creamy texture. Using coconut milk from a carton will still taste delicious, it just won’t be as velvety.
- Cinnamon – Amping up the flavor with a little natural spice.
- Chocolate chips (or cocoa nibs) – Brings added texture and flavor to our ice cream. But you can use crushed raw chocolate or cacoa nibs if you prefer.
- Vanilla Extract – Natural vanilla extract brings life to your ice cream and makes it extra delish! I always use Nielsen-Massey for its quality of ingredients, rich flavor and it’s allergy-friendly too.
- Liquid Sweetener- optional but a little drizzle of this on top of your finished ice cream just adds an extra “WOW” factor. I love date syrup, maple syrup or agave.
Most importantly, you will need an ice cream maker . I love my ice cream maker which can also be used to make vegan yogurt. It’s simple to use and makes the perfect creamy ice cream every time! You should also have an ice cream scoop, an airtight reusable ice cream tub or containers like this .
Check out the full list of recommended tools & gadgets for all your baking needs.
How To Make Coconut Ice Cream
Step One – Roast Bananas
Slice bananas into slices, sprinkle with cinnamon and bake until brown and soft. (full instructions included in recipe below ⬇️).
In a separate bowl, make a slurry with the cornstarch and the reserved coconut milk. Add it to the saucepan and cook, stirring frequently, until the ice cream base begins to thicken, fully coating the back of a wooden spoon.
Step Two – Blend
Transfer cooled, roasted bananas to a blender, along with coconut milk and vanilla then blend until smooth. Taste test to see if you need a little extra cinnamon or sweetener and add a touch if desired. Stir in chocolate chips (or cacao nibs).
Step Three – Churn the Ice Cream
Pour the blended banana mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Ice cream will becomes thick and resemble soft serve. You can serve now or transfer it to loaf pan and store in the freezer until ready to serve. Allow 5-10 minutes to thaw when removing from the freezer.
Serving And Storing
Store the ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month. I store my ice cream in pint-sized ice cream tub (like this) to keep them fresh and avoid freezer burn. You can also use a freezer-safe container then cover and freeze.
Serve your ice cream slightly thawed. Allow the roasted banana ice cream to thaw 10-15 minutes before scooping. Serve it in a bowl, in cones, or as use as a filling and make ice cream sandwiches.
Do I need an Ice Cream Maker?
While I highly recommend getting an ice cream maker, you can still make a creamy ice cream without a machine. Here are 2 options:
- Make your ice cream base as listed above then serve immediately.
- Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe bowl and freeze for 3 hours. Just remember to stir the ice cream every 30 minutes during the freezing process to get a creamy, soft blend.
It won’t be quite as creamy, but it works in a pinch!
MORE BANANA RECIPES
Do you love bananas? Or have a ton of ripe bananas in the house? Give these vegan and gluten free recipes a try!
- 5 ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 (14oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup vegan mini chocolate chips (or cacoa nibs)
- Maple Syrup, Date Syrup or Agave for serving if desired
- Preheat oven to 350° and line baking sheet with parchment. Slice bananas into 1-inch pieces then spread on baking sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until bananas are brown and caramelized. Remove from oven and let cool completely. *
- Scoop the bananas into a blender. Add the coconut milk, cream, and vanilla. Puree until very smooth. Taste test and add more cinnamon or touch of sweetener if desired.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. During the last minutes of churning sprinkle in the chocolate chips (or cacoa nibs).
- Transfer to an airtight container, press plastic wrap against the ice cream, and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours. The flavor will ripen the longer the ice cream freezes!
- Let ice cream thaw 10-15 minutes before serving. Scoop into cones or bowls and serve with drizzle of syrup, shredded coconut, chocolate ganache or as is.
*Note: If bananas are not cool, you can still continue with Step 3 but mixture MUST BE COLD before it goes into the ice cream maker. If it's too warm, it will remain soupy and never churn into thick ice cream.
**Using regular dairy? Replace coconut milk with regular milk and use heavy cream (from a can) instead of coconut cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 17mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 4gSugar: 38gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information is only an estimate based off of using an online calculator. Numbers will change depending on brands used.