The best thing that’s ever happened to your breakfast! Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, melted chocolate chips hidden in every bite.
These chocolate waffles are the perfect dessert-for-breakfast kind of treat! Rich & decadent, but not overly sweet, made with cocoa and mini chocolate chips ….it’ll take you to chocolate heaven.
I wish you could reach through your screen and grab one right now!
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP WAFFLES
Making scrumptious chocolate chip brownie waffles is quick and easy to do! Preheat your waffle iron according to the appliance instructions. In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients until blended. Whisk the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl then pour it into the dry waffle batter. Stir in the chocolate chips last. The batter will be thick but easy to stir. Add mini chocolate chips to the bowl and mix briefly. Your decadent chocolate waffles are ready to be made!
Keep them warm by placing in your oven that has been preheated to 250° until ready to serve.
CAN YOU FREEZE WAFFLES?
Freezing an extra batch of waffles can make any morning a little sweeter!
- Freeze the waffles individually on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. After the waffles have frozen, package them in Ziploc storage bags and freeze. Freezing them first individually will help the waffles not stick together.
- I still like to cut little pieces of the parchment out to lay between the waffles just in case.
- My super secret tip….place a straw halfway inside the baggie and halfway out then seal the edge all around it. Suck out the air and when you’ve got it vacuum-sealed, pull out the straw. Works like magic!
HOW TO REHEAT CHOCOLATE WAFFLES
When you are ready to serve the waffles on a lazy weekend morning or busy school morning, pop the frozen waffles into the toaster and let them cook until they are warmed through and lightly crisped.
- The best method for reheating frozen or refrigerated waffles is using an oven (300°) or toaster oven.
- Microwaving is the second option, but it won’t have that crispy outer layer.
HOW TO SERVE VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP BROWNIE WAFFLES
One thing I love about these delicious Chocolate Waffles is their amazing taste and texture. Crisp on the outside, tender on the inside and not overly sweet. You could eat them just as they are, straight from the waffle iron, but what fun would that be?! Here are some of our favorites toppings:
- Fresh berries like strawberries, blueberries or raspberries.
- Banana slices.
- Whipped cream (homemade or store-bought dairy-free option.
- A dusting of confectioners sugar.
- Caramel Sauce.
- SunButter or nut-free spread of your choice.
- Vegan Ice cream Waffles a-la-mode! That’s right…..ice cream for breakfast RULES!
- More chocolate chips of course.
- My Favorite: Whip cream, berries, chocolate chips and a drizzle of caramel sauce! Can I just tell you now how fabulous that combo is!
THE BEST BREAKFAST WAFFLE BOARD
These rich and decadent Double Chocolate Waffles are so simple, you could make them any day of the week but they are especially perfect for serving on special occasions like birthdays, Valentine’s Day, and Mother’s Day.
This Easter, I’m hosting family brunch and plan on serving up these waffles a little differently. On a breakfast board loaded with fresh fruit, whip and chocolate chips .
HERE ARE SOME OTHER BREAKFAST WORTHY TREATS:
- Double Chocolate Pancakes (do you sense a theme?)
- Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
- Pomegranate Orange Pancakes
- Baked Blackberry Donuts
- Cranberry Cinnamon Rolls
Celebrate the long weekend or even your birthday, with these amazingly rich & chocolatey, waffles! Even better, stack them, top with icing and its a best birthday cake ever.
- 2 C. Flour (GF 1–1 blend or AP flour of choice)
- 2/3 C. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 TB. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 C. Water
- 1/2 C. Dairy-free yogurt plain (soy or coconut) *
- 1/3 C. Vegetable Oil
- 2/3 C. Cane Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 C. Vegan Chocolate chips (Enjoy Life is Awesome)
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate chips, and leave a well in the center of the mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients. Pour the wet into the dry and mix a little.
- Add in the chocolate chips and continue mixing completely.
- (If you are like me, I put all dry in my Kitchen Aid, then add the wet into it and using the paddle attachment, mix together).
- Lightly spray your iron and add approximately 1 Large ice cream scoop of batter into prepared iron. (1/4-1/2 C batter).
- My waffle iron makes 2 smaller ones at a time, so I use 1 scoop for each side. So the amount you use is based on your iron.
- Cook according to your iron’s directions
- If your iron has a light that turns on when its ready like mine does, it takes all the guess work out of it.
- Top with your favorite toppings! Earth Balance butter, syrup, fresh fruit, power sugar, or even ICING!
*For the GF version, I typically use Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 because it you can easily switch in equal amounts for regular flour. However, it is not in a dedicated nut-free facility.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free, Nut-free
Keywords: vegan waffles, allergen friendly waffles, nut-free breakfast, chocolate, chocolate chip waffles, decadent waffles, breakfast board, gluten-free chocolate waffles, the best vegan waffles
* On this day, I was completely out of yogurt of any kind, so I improvised. I ended up substituting Tofutti Sour Cream and it turned out just as yummy.2