This tiny Superfood is packed with omega-3, antioxidants, calcium, fiber and protein. Plus, these seeds are easy to make into a pudding because they absorb up to 10 times their weight in water! Not only does this make chia seeds a great option for breakfast, a healthy snack, or dessert, but it also means that they will help you stay hydrated since they retain their water.
Typically I make my pudding in the simplest way, by soaking the seeds in rich and creamy, coconut milk. This helps the mixture attain a creamy texture sort of like tapioca pudding. Then it is topped with as much fresh, seasonal fruit as desired and even cacao nibs or seeds are added for some crunch and extra nutrients.
But sometimes, I like to change it up and try something new. Although I love my typical overnight chia, I wanted something chocolate but still healthy, something that could be eaten as breakfast, snack or dessert. This was the perfect recipe for all 3! I love this stuff and in fact, ate it all myself over the span of a few days before my kids even knew it was in the fridge. It satisfies all my chocolate cravings, and knowing that it is only sweetened with dates, I don’t feel guilty! Guiltless dessert? Now we’re talking!
Best of all, its RAW, Vegan, and Allergy-free. Just use the milk and toppings of your choice to fit your own dietary restrictions if mine don’t work for you.
Chia seeds, cacao and coconut milk turns into an extremely delicious, Allergy-friendly breakfast pudding or dessert.
- 6 pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 C. hot water (for soaking dates)
- 1 C. Coconut milk
- 1 1/2 TB. Cacao powder (unsweetened cocoa also works)
- 1/2 C. Chia seeds
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 C. Coconut Milk
- Soak dates in 1/2 Cup hot water for 10-15 minutes.
- Blend together, dates, soaking water, coconut milk, cacao powder, salt and vanilla then blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and add chia seeds with additional coconut milk. Whisk to blend.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Whisk once or twice in between .