Perfectly Spiced, Soft & Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies. So delicious no one will know they’re vegan, allergy-friendly and gluten-free.
There’s nothing that gets me into the holiday season more than baking cookies. I started before Thanksgiving and I didn’t stopped until the day after Christmas. Over 12 dozen cookies later and I can officially say these Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies are one of our favorites!
Not only are they delicious, but they’re also vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, and one of the easiest cookies you’ll ever make! You’re going to love them and want to make them, even if Christmas is over.
What are Vegan Ginger Molasses Cookies?
Imagine combining a chewy molasses cookie with a ginger snap and you’ve got yourself a ginger molasses cookie. It’s a soft, slightly chewy, light and crackly, sweet and spicy cookie that would make Grandma proud.
They’re full of molasses, brown sugar, and deliciously warm spices like ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies Allergy-friendly Ingredients:
To make this chewy ginger molasses cookies recipe, you will need:
- Vegan Butter: Softened to room temperature (not melted, so take this out first and let it sit as you’re gathering everything else)
- Sugar: Granulated (vegan) sugar, plus extra for rolling the dough balls to create that perfect shine and crackle.
- Molasses: I love Wholesome’s Blackstrap molasses! It adds a level of rich, full-bodied robust flavor and natural color.
- Baking powder and baking soda: The perfect combo for making soft and chewy, vegan cookies.
- Flour: Unbleached all-purpose flour works beautifully for this classic recipe, but I’ve also made using Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Blend and had equally yummy results. If using a GF flour, just make sure it includes xanthan gum or you’ll need to add 1/2 teaspoon.
- Spices: I like using a mixture of ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Feel free to adjust the amounts to your liking, but if you aren’t sure where to start, start here. My kids are picky and this was the perfect amount of spice for them.
- Salt: Enhances the color and flavors of these homemade cookies.
Ginger Cookie Variations
- Add extra ginger: For extra flavor and crunch, try sprinkling with a little chopped crystalized ginger.
- Frost your cookies: Omit the extra sugar dip and simply spread cream cheese frosting on top.
- Chocolate-dipped: Dress up your ginger molasses cookies by dipping half of your cookie in either melted dark chocolate or white chocolate. I usually always use Enjoy Life Foods but Nestle now has allergy-free milk, dark and white chocolate chips, which gives you another safe and delicious options.
- Sprinkles: Well, sprinkles are just super cute, so why not?
I hope you enjoy this amazing Chewy Ginger Molasses recipe below!
Looking for more delicious sweets? Check out:
- 2 cups flour (all purpose or 1:1 gluten-free blend)*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (Earth Balance stick butter)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Set aside.
- In a stand-up mixer (or hand mixer), beat butter, sugar, molasses and water until creamy. Slowly beat in the flour mixture combined.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of dough (or use small cookie scoop) at a time and roll the rounded part into sugar. Place them on prepared baking sheet and bake 10-12 minutes. Let cool on sheet.
* for gluten-free alternative, substitute with 1:1 GF Blend, such as Bob's Red Mill, Nameste or Better Batter Blend which all include Xanthan Gum.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 94Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g