This moist, fluffy vegan caramel cupcake is covered in homemade salted caramel and creamy caramel-infused frosting then drizzled with extra caramel. Talk about a crowd pleaser!
Yes, these Salted Caramel Cupcakes are just as delicious as they look and they are perfect for anyone who has a hard time choosing between salty and sweet!
Like myself 😉.
Vegan Caramel Cupcakes
I use to think that vanilla cupcakes were boring, but it’s actually the perfect canvas to create a variety of flavor combinations.
Like these beautifully, soft vanilla cupcakes, topped with a swirl of caramel-infused frosting, a drizzle of caramel sauce and sprinkle some flaked sea salt right on top.
They are incredibly delicious and with Christmas just 1 day away, they also make a beautiful homemade gift to bake for friends/neighbors — without worry about all the allergens!
Best Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
These homemade cupcakes are tender, but strong enough to support mountains of frosting. Flavorful, but subtle. Fluffy and airy, not dry and crumbly. Sweet, but not overly sweet. Allergy-friendly and even delicious when made using a 1:1 gluten free flour blend like Bob’s Red Mill or Better Batter.
Vegan Salted Caramel
The salted caramel frosting is made from scratch and has an incredible flavor. However, I did cheat a little and use Hey Boo coconut caramel sauce in the mix. This sauce is absolutely scrumptious & an awesome choice if short on time! It’s vegan & gluten-free and even better, it is made without corn syrup or fructose.
How to Make Caramel Frosting
I cannot tell you how many cupcakes and cakes I’ve baked since starting a home bakery. Just last week alone, I had 3 layered cakes and 14 dozen cupcakes…which means I was also whipping up a lot of frosting.
This recipe is another one that is so simple to make and easy to remember. I love that is it incredibly light and fluffy, not overly sweet and perfectly white. I also love that it doesn’t melt on you!
All you need are these ingredients, you probably already have on hand:
- Shortening (non-hydrogenated, plant-based)
- Vegan powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Dairy free milk
- Pinch of salt
I added a little caramel to this base but you can simply drizzle it on top if you prefer.
How to Store Frosted Salted Caramel Cupcakes?
Cupcakes are always best the same day, but will last up to 3 days if stored in airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge. Unfrosted cupcakes can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months. Simply thaw, while still covered, on the counter or overnight in the fridge. Frosting can be kept in the fridge, covered, for up to 3 days. When ready to frost, just bring to room temperature and blend with a handheld mixer until smooth.
This is the same process if you want to prepare the cupcakes ahead of time. I’ve had successful results when making a day ahead of time then refrigerating overnight. Allow to bring to room temperature and then add all the frosting!
I’m just so excited for you to try this recipe! Each bite is a mixture of sweet, tender, vanilla cupcake with a big hit of bold caramel and a salty finishing touch. Seriously soooooo good!
If you love this Salted Caramel Cupcake, I think you will also love these Homemade Twix Bars. These are another one of those salty, sweet treats that is so hard to resist!
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose OR 1:1 Gluten Free Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup flax milk (or dairy-free milk of choice)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoon caramel sauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan shortening (or butter or combo of both)
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce + more for drizzle
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3 teaspoons flax milk
- Flaked sea salt for decorating
- Optional Caramel Sauce for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 12 capacity muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flax milk, oil, vinegar, caramel and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients then whisk just until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full with batter and bake for 18-20 minutes. Toothpick should come out clean when inserted in the middle. Set on cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Place shortening or butter (or combo) in mixing bowl and cream on medium-high for 1 minute.
- Add sifted powdered sugar and cream another minute then add in caramel sauce and whip until combined.
- Add vanilla extra and a pink of salt. If frosting is too stiff, add flax milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, while blending. Check for consistency before adding more liquid.
Put it all together:
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and drizzle with a little extra caramel then sprinkles with salt flakes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 478Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 326mgCarbohydrates: 87gFiber: 0gSugar: 78gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and estimate only based on online calculations.