Berry Mint Skillet Pie
Warm berries and mint are a delightful combination in this Mint Berry Skillet Pie
Trying a new recipe for the first time can go 1 of 2 ways…..either people love it and everyone asks for your recipe, OR, they quietly eat most of it and leave it at that.
I am famous for baking something new when guests are coming. When else do you have a reason to put on a big production, make yet another dessert and get honest feedback? Obviously I would prefer to hear my friends rave about the creation set before them, but quiet honestly, that doesn’t always happen. Especially when baking allergy-free.
Like this little number…..
Isn’t it pretty? I found a fresh bundle of rhubarb at the market and knew instantly that a pie or cobbler was in its future. So I baked away, adding in some fresh cherries and apples then topping it with a mixture of oats, quinoa flakes, coconut oil and a pinch of salt. Needless to say, although it looked tasty, it really wasn’t. I had to cook it a little longer for the topping to turn that pretty golden color, which in turn overcooked the filling.
BUMMER! At least I had some of my tasty ice cream to save the day!
So, I tried again a few days later, but with some changes. This time I used some organic frozen berries (always great to keep on hand) and grabbed some fresh mint from the garden out back.
And with a few little tweaks to the topping, I am happy to tell you that this one was a winner! No ice cream required.
Berry Mint Skillet Pie
Yield 8 -10
Skillets aren't just for cornbread. Pull it out this summer to make this Skillet Pie with warm summer berries laced with fresh lemon and mint, then topped with a light, gluten free crumble.
- 4 C. frozen strawberries, unthawed
- 2 C. frozen blueberries, unthawed
- 1/2 C. cane sugar
- 1/4 C. water
- 1/4 C. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. guar gum or arrowroot
- 2/3 C. water
- zest from 1 lemon
- 6 leaves of fresh mint, chiffonade cut (thinly cut strips)
- Topping Ingredients:
- 1 C. Gluten free flour
- 1/2 C. Gluten free oats
- 3/4 C. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 C. coconut oil, melted
- Lightly oil a large cast iron skillet and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, gently incorporate berries, cane sugar and 1/4 C. water. Heat to medium high.
- In a small bowl, add 2/3 C. water then whisk in cornstarch and arrowroot until mixed together. Pour into the heated berries mixture and reduce to low. Add in lemon zest and mint then continue to gently stir until mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and transfer berries to prepared cast iron skillet.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour in melted coconut oil and mix until it is all incorporated together and a nice crumbly topping has occurred.
- Spoon topping over berries and make sure it is evenly dispersed.
- Bake at 400 degrees for approx. 25 minutes.
- Berries will be bubbling and oat mixture will have a pretty golden hue.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
* Does not have to be made GF. Simply use All Purpose Flour. **Feel free to use any mixture of berries desired.