These Vegan Blueberry Scones are the perfect sweet treat for brunch or breakfast, and easy to make, too!
There’s always a first time for everything, which is why these lemon-zested Blueberry Scones are making their way onto Allergylicious. Honestly, I’ve always been a little intimidated by the thought of making scones, but once I tried it, it left me wondering why I took so long.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN LEMON BLUEBERRY SCONES:
These scones bake up beautifully. They’re:
- Surprisingly vegan & gluten-free
- Allergy- friendly
- Moist & tender on the inside
- Crisp & crumbly on the outside
- Refined sugar free
- Packed with juicy blueberries + lemon zest
- & Simply delicious
SUBSTITUTIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO THIS RECIPE:
Since you all have different diets, food allergies and preferences, I wanted to include a few ways you can adapt this recipe to fit your needs.
- Swap out vegan butter for chilled coconut oil.
- Choose any type of plant-based milk: flax milk, soy milk, oat milk, rice milk, almond milk, or cashew milk
- Change up the citrus: lemon zest, orange zest, lime zest
- Try a sweeter variation by adding a lemon glaze. Simply stir together 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon almond milk, and the zest of 1 lemon to drizzle over the top.
- Use plain flour instead of the gluten-free flour if you’re not gluten-free
- Both fresh or frozen blueberries work in this recipe, depending on what you have available.
- If you’re not into blueberries, try substituting with raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, cherries or chocolate chips
EQUIPMENT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THESE GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN LEMON BLUEBERRY SCONES:
You probably already have these items in your kitchen, but just in case… you will need:
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN BLUEBERRY SCONES:
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Then, in a food processor (or large bowl) add dry ingredients. Pulse or whisk to combine.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pour in the milk, lemon juice and zest and pulse until just combined. Then gently fold in the blueberries.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and form it into a 1 inch thick circle.
- Slice into 8 wedges, and arrange them on a prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the wedges with milk, sprinkle with sugar, and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Enjoy with or without lemon glaze.
HOW DO I MAKE SUGAR FREE SCONES
Baking without dairy, eggs and gluten is already tricky but I wanted to include a few sugar-free options for you all such as Vegan Berry Trifle using Wholesome ZeroSugar Organic Erythritol and today’s Blueberry Scones recipe using Wholesome’s Organic Stevia.
Since this recipe already includes sweet blueberries, only a small amount of sugar is needed to enhance the flavor, which makes Stevia an excellent option. But typically the rule of thumb is this : 2 tsp sugar = 1/4 tsp stevia.
I’ve never really liked stevia, but Wholesome’s Organic Stevia is quite different from others I have tried. Theirs is a unique blend of organic stevia and organic erythritol which produces a smoother, more mellow taste compared to other products on the market. It works beautifully in our scones.
TIPS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE SCONES
Can vegan blueberry scones be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze these scones after they cool if desired. Just leave the icing off if you are going to freeze them.
Should I use fresh or frozen blueberries for these scones?
Either work beautifully. If you use frozen blueberries, just do not thaw before using, but add them directly from the freezer to the dough. They will make your scones a little blue (like mine turned out) but they will taste great! I really like using little frozen wild blueberries in scones, plus I always seem to have those on hand.
How to prevent blueberry batter from turning blue?
Create the dough circle, slice in half horizontally (like a hamburger bun) then sprinkle in most of the blueberries. Add the top circle back on and press down gently. Add a few more blueberries on top then cut into your 8 slices and bake.
IF YOU LOVE VEGAN BLUEBERRY RECIPES…..
- 2 cups all purpose flour or 1:1 gluten free blend
- 3 tsp Wholesome Organic Stevia (or 1/3 cup Whole Cane Sugar)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold vegan butter (or chilled coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup flax, soy, coconut milk plus a little extra for brushing
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cups frozen organic blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor (or mixing bowl) combine flour, Wholesome Organic Stevia, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Pulse or whisk to combine.
- Add butter and pulse again until crumbly. You can also use a pastry cutter if not using a processor.
- Add non-dairy milk, lemon juice and zest, then pulse together until a sticky dough if formed. Transfer for a bowl and fold in blueberries.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and form it into a 1" high disc. Use a large knife to cut the circle into 6 or 8 even wedges. Then use a floured spatula to transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with a little non-dairy milk and sprinkle with cane sugar if desired.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until fluffy and lightly golden brown on the edges. Cool slightly before drizzling icing or enjoy as is.
*Recipe loosely adapted from Minimalist Baker.