The Best Blueberry Muffins are perfectly sweet, easy to make, and full of blueberry flavor.
It’s springtime and finally, my fridge is full of berries. Blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries OH MY. We eat them by the handful, add them into smoothies, blend them into homemade “nice” cream, and today, we’re mixing them into muffins since Blueberry Muffins are my daughter’s favorite.
I love using Pinterest as a way to inspire me with the foods and flavors of the seasons. The Fall is full of pumpkin and squash, soups and pastas. The Winter months bring an array of decadent chocolate desserts, cookies and hearty meals like chili. Then comes Spring and Summer…..full of fresh produce, smoothies, juices, lighter dishes and berries galore!
I have to say that I’m partial to the warmer seasons and fruit-filled treats, like blueberry muffins.
Blueberry Muffins are a bakery favorite for a reason! Made with a hint of cinnamon and a lot of love, these vegan muffins take just 5-10 minutes to whip up and they bake to golden perfection. Serve them warm, fresh out of the tin with a cup of coffee and they’ll bring nothing but smiles to your breakfast spread.
MUFFIN MAKING FORMULA
When making muffins from scratch, there’s an easy formula to follow. It’s what I learned in Home Economics back in 7th grade and it’s what works even to this day.
- The dry ingredients are whisked together in a large mixing bowl.
- The wet ingredients are mixed together in another bowl.
- Mix the wet INTO the dry ingredients, just until combined. You don’t want to over-mix the batter, or your muffins will not be as light and tender.
- THEN, toss the blueberries in a little bit of flour before folding into the batter. This will help keep them from sinking when they bake.
FLUFFY EGGLESS MUFFINS
Vegan baking can be tricky, especially when you alter the flour to be gluten-free. However, this recipe gets points for simplicity, even with it being allergy-friendly. All you need is 10 minutes of prep time, two bowls, and a muffin tin.
The trick to making muffins without eggs ( or gluten) is to add some vinegar to the recipe. Don’t worry, you won’t taste it! Since we cannot rely on egg to act as the main raising agent, this recipe uses the combination of baking soda + vinegar to give it it’s fluffy texture. The end result, yummy blueberry muffins, without all the allergens.
WITH SUGAR ON TOP
I like to finish off these muffins with a sprinkling of Wholesome turbinado sugar on top. It gives each bite a light but discernible crunch, followed by the soft, warm explosion of round blueberries. Talk about amazing!Print
The Best Blueberry Muffins, which are perfectly sweet, easy to make and full of blueberry flavor.
- 2 Cups All-purpose unbleached flour or 1–1 Gluten-free flour *
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar (I used evaporated cane juice by Wholesome)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 Cup coconut oil (or neutral oil of choice)
- 1 Cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1–2 Cups fresh blueberries
- 2 Tablespoons turbinado sugar (optional) to sprinkle as topping.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 10-12 muffin tins with liners. Toss blueberries with a tablespoon of flour to coat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix remaining flour, cane sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bow, whisk the oil, milk, vinegar, and vanilla and mix until combined. Pour into dry ingredients and then stir to combine. Fold in blueberries gently, trying not to break them all.
- Batter will be on the thicker side.
- Fill each prepared liner 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with turbinado sugar when pulled from the oven to coat if desired.
*There are plenty of GF flours to choose from and your allergens will determine which you should use. For us, when baking GF, we use Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 Blend.
**Don’t forget the Xanthan gum if your flour requires it.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: bake
Keywords: blueberry, muffins, vegan muffins
Craving More Berries?
Here’s a few more berrylicious treats to keep your belly happy! https://allergylicious.com/blueberry-banana-cake/11