Healthy & nutritious, Top 8 Free, homemade granola bars.
(this post has been updated with more recent photos)
Say goodbye to boxed granola bars! These delicious, no-bake, Vegan and Allergy-free bars will have your kids begging for more and you won’t feel guilty for saying “yes”.
These bars were inspired by the ‘not-so-healthy”, “not-so-allergy-friendly” bars on the market today. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve just stood and stared at the rows and rows of bars in the grocery aisle. Have you ever done that? It can be overwhelming just looking at all the choices but then take into consideration trying to find ones that are allergy-safe, and that’s a whole nother level of stress. There have been a few times when I thought “this is it, I think I found a bar that is healthy”, but then read through the ingredients only to see that it contains 1 or more of our allergens.
Because of this, there aren’t very many bars that I can safely recommend, so I decided to make my own homemade granola bar. This recipe is by far our favorite and since they never last long, so be sure to make an extra batch! I call it our “Go Go Granola Bar” because it’s perfect for moms, dads and kids on the go, and they go rather quickly :). It’s also perfect for those of us who want a healthy bar, filled with real food, good fats, protein and none of the Top 8 allergens!
Simple, Easy Ingredients
Keep in mind that when you see a recipe, its not the End-All! This is where you just have to jump in and have some fun. I look at recipes as suggestions and make whatever substitutions are needed to make the recipe safe for our home without compromising on taste. The last batch I made of these, I was actually short on the brown rice cereal so I used Enjoy Life Perky’s cereal for the last 1/4 cup AND low on Brown Rice Syrup so I just made up the difference with pure Maple Syrup. I wasn’t going to let that stop me from making these bars!
I love the fact that these are simple to make and no baking is required. Plus, these store well in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or feel free to store them in the freezer for up to 2 months. However, I doubt they will last that long!
The biggest reason these are my favorite bars is because my kids absolutely love them! You can use them for an after school snack, quick breakfast or even a treat to put in the lunchbox. And with all the junk that the store bought bars have in them, isn’t it nice to know that you can whip up a batch of your own healthy bars in the same amount of time it would take you just to drive to the store?
Just in case you want to see how easy it is to whip these up, check out this fun segment from our local news here in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Let’s Make This
Go Go Granola
Yield 12 -16
Say good-bye to the boxed granola bars! These delicious, no-bake, Vegan and Allergy-free bars will have your kids begging for more and you'll be happy to do it.
- 1 1/2 C. Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- 1 1/4 C. Gluten Free Brown Rice Cereal
- 1/4 C. Hemp Seeds
- 1/4 C. Pepitas
- 1/4 C. Unsweetened Coconut Shreds
- 2 TB. Sesame Seeds
- 2 TB. Chia Seeds
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/2 C. Liquid Sweetener (Brown Rice Syrup, Pure Maple Syrup, Agave or combination)
- 1/4 C. SunButter
- 1 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 C. Vegan Chocolate Chips (Enjoy Life)
- Line a 9 in square glass dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown rice cereal, hemp seeds, pepitas, coconut, sesame seeds, chia seeds, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small sauce pan, stir together your liquid sweetener and no-nut butter until well combined. Cook over medium until mixture softens and blends together. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour warm mixture over the oat mix and be sure to scrape it all out! Stir well with a wooden spoon so that everything is coated well.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly before adding in chocolate chips, unless you want them to be melted!
- Transfer mix to prepared pan, spread out evenly.
- Lightly dampen hands or spray them with non-stick spray. Firmly pat down mixture to even it out and make compact so the bars stay together better.
- Place pan in freezer, uncovered, for approximately 10 minutes, or until firm.
- List square out of pan using the parchment paper as handles and place on cutting board. Using a serrated knife or pizza cutter, slice into 4 rows and then slice them into 3 rows the other direction (making 12 bars total).
- Wrap bars individually and seal in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Let’s continue to connect & encourage others with food allergies & restrictions. Follow Xander Friendly Foods on Facebook and Instagram for the newest, allergy-friendly & vegan, Foodspiration then visit me on Twitter to join all the #hashtag fun! Pinterest is another wonderful way to share with others, so be sure to follow me there too & “pin” like crazy!
If you like this recipe & want to see more like this, simply subscribe to Xander Friendly Foods in the top box and you’ll get every new recipe directly to your inbox! Perfect for those of us who hate waiting!