Satisfy those cravings with a perfect blend of salty & sweet popcorn chocolate chip cookies.
I saw what you did right there, you scrunched your nose at the thought of popcorn in your chocolate chip cookies, didn’t you? But let me ask, have you ever enjoyed chocolate covered pretzels or salted caramel sauce drizzled on your chocolate cupcake? What about dipping your french fry into a milkshake, have you ever done that? I had a friend who use to eat olive and peanut butter sandwiches, the ultimate in mixing sweet & salty (ok, this one you can scrunch your nose at).
So now that you’ve thought about it a little longer, doesn’t buttery, salty popcorn inside a sweet chocolate cookie dough, sound like pure genius for your tastebuds? It’s the perfect blend of salty and sweet!
Popcorn and Chocolate: The perfect pair
If you asked anyone in my family what they wanted to do on the weekend, it would be to go to the movies, especially if it had anything to do with superheros (Go Team Cap). Now whether we actually watch the movie in a theatre or in the comfort of our movie room, one thing must always be included….popcorn! It never really mattered what time of day it was, because as long as there was a movie to watch, there was popcorn to be had!
When you wanted to splurge a little, then you empty out a bag of vegan chocolate candy into your popcorn…can you say “YUM”! This popcorn chocolate chip cookie is my way of bringing the theatre home with you and allowing you to indulge a little while cheering on your favorite superheros (did I mention we’re Team Cap?).
Easy to Make Popcorn Cookies
There’s a lot of yumminess going on in that bowl right there. Buttery, salted popcorn, sweet chocolate chips and a brown-sugar and vanilla batter to hold it all together. I’m ready to make another batch!
Oh, don’t worry about there being too much popcorn either, because it works. As you are folding it all together, some of the popcorn will start to break down into smaller pieces which only make this cookie more interesting. Some bites will have large clouds of buttered popcorn while others will only be teased with that salty sensation that compliments the chocolate, making every bite delicious.
These popcorn cookies are unconditional! They don’t care if your Team Cap, Iron Man or Team DC, they just want to be at the party!
The Recipe: Popcorn Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 4 Cups Freshly Popped Popcorn
- 1/4 tsp. Fine salt
- 1/2 Cup Dairy free butter substitute, softened
- 1/2 Cup Light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 Cup Granulated cane sugar
- 1 Egg replacer (Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer)
- 1/2 tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 Cups All-purpose flour (Sub 1-for-1 Gluten-Free Blend*)
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/2 Cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
Make popcorn (3 ways)
- Use Organic Salted Microwave Popcorn with light butter flavor (dairy free)- I used this method
- Pop kernels on stovetop in a large pan (add 2 TB. oil) with lid over medium high heat. Keep pan moving until kernels have popped (5 min) then toss with salt (1/4 tsp) and melted butter (1 TB).
- Easy way out, buy premade, bagged butter flavor popcorn.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together softened butter, brown & cane sugar, egg replacer & vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda. Add dry ingredients into butter mixture. Add chocolate chips then fold in cooled popcorn and evenly distribute through batter.
- Scoop large tablespoon sized dough bites and lay 2" apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
- Let cookies sit a few minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
It will seem as though you have a TON of popcorn, but that's ok. It works and the pieces will break as you fold in into the batter.
Be sure to take out any kernals that didn't pop. Those won't feel good if you happen to bite on them. 🙂
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 96mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information is only an estimate based off of using an online calculator. Numbers will change depending on brands used.
So if you had to pick your favorite type of movie, what would be it? Fiction? Sci-Fi? Romantic? Comedy? SuperHero (that should get its own category)? Speaking of Superhero, do you have a favorite?
And what’s your “go-to” movie snack? Sweet, salty, sour? Be sure to answer below in the comments.