A creamy, dreamy, classic – Coconut Cream Pie, made from scratch & allergy-friendly.
Coconut Cream Pie
A buttery graham cracker crust, filled with rich & creamy coconut cream & layered with LOTS of whipped cream and topped with toasted coconut. Now, who wouldn’t love that? At first, it may look like a lot of work is involved, but trust me, the effort pays off when everyone takes their first bite.
They begin with, “Oh my gosh, this is coconut cream pie is amazing.” And then they ask, “Did you make this? Is this Vegan? Can I have your recipe?”
I love it when that happens!
The most difficult part of this entire recipe is getting the meat out of the young Thai coconut. I battled mine for a while last night when I was remaking this recipe and although I thought I may lose, I finally won! Using a real coconut, you WILL make a mess, you WILL use lots of arm muscles but you WILL be proud of yourself when it’s all over. If you can’t find any or if you aren’t certain about trying this, you can also use pre-sliced coconut meat usually found in the frozen fruit section.
Simply by blending the coconut meat along with a few other ingredients, you’ll get this creamy filling. Don’t worry if it it looks a little funky….the coconut oil mixed with the lime juice will do that. As long as its nice and smooth, then you’ve done it right.
BUT, before you add your creamy filling, the secret ingredient in this dessert is a layer of sliced bananas. Not only does it add another level of flavor, but it also adds some extra sweetness so you don’t have to add lots of sugar to sweeten this up. DON’T skip this step.
Coconut Cream Pie recipe
Creamy, dreamy, classic Coconut Cream Pie made from fresh coconut, crunchy allergy-free cookies & topped with dairy-free whip! A Summer’s delight.
- 1 1/2 C. graham crackers- crushed (Kinnikinnick is GF & Vegan)
- 3 TB pure cane sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 C. earth balance coconut spread, melted
- 2 C. young coconut meat (1 Thai Coconut)
- 2-4 TB agave – to taste Juice from 1 Lime
- 2 TB pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 C. virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 C. coconut milk (from a carton) coconut water- if needed to thin 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 C. shredded coconut
- Whipped Topping (Coco Whip, MimiCreme or Whipped Coconut)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together the crumbs, sugar, salt and melted coconut spread. Spread into a pie plate and press down to make crust, going a little up the sides.
- Bake 15 minutes. Take out and let cool.
- Blend pie ingredients (EXCEPT bananas) together in a blender or processor until smooth. Add a little coconut water if it it not swirling well.
- Place sliced bananas on top of crust. Pour filling on top of bananas. Cover with saran wrap and place in fridge at least 3 hours to set (I let mine sit overnight).
- Before you serve, place shredded coconut on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake on 350, approx 10 minutes, to lightly brown. Just watch it so it does not burn.
- Take out the MimiCreme and follow instructions. (Its really just using your blender and beating it until whipped and fluffy.)
- Take pie out of fridge, Top with the whipped MimiCreme, then cover with toasted coconut!
PIN for later
Time to be Social
Follow Allergylicious on Facebook and invite your friends! Find me on Instagram and Tag #allergylicious with your awesome remakes! You can also find me on Pinterest sharing the newest, delicious, allergy-friendly foods.
If you like this recipe & want to see more like this, simply subscribe to Allergylicious in the side box and you’ll get every new recipe directly to your inbox! Perfect for those of us who hate waiting!