Years ago, I remember standing in front of this dessert table at my friend’s baby shower. It looked like a pink city of sugary, chocolatey treats, with cupcake towers and bite sized sweetness covering every corner. It was really quite a site to see and the end to any sugar fast I may have been on at the time.
Then there was this dessert which I had never had before. It was delicious! A light graham cracker crust, cheesecake-like center, layered with melted chocolate and toasted coconut….it really was like taking a bite of heaven.
For a time, this Coconut Cloud Cheesecake Bar was my go-to at dinner parties. Simple to make and enjoyed by all, but then something happened,,,, food allergies! Dairy was no longer safe in our home and this recipe used a lot of it, from the butter in the crust, condensed milk in the center and milk chocolate on the top.
So I created a “Make Allergy-Free” notebook and filled it with all my favorite recipes, including this one, and was determined to make it “Xander friendly”. It was difficult at first to recreate the condensed milk layer but after several failed attempts, I was able to find the perfect combination. Now, my version of these Coconut Cloud Cheesecake Bars contain no dairy, no eggs, no nuts (except coconut) and can be made gluten-free if you use the right graham crust. You can even share this with your Vegan friends since it calls for agave instead of honey. How perfect is that? Now almost everyone can try this heavenly bar!
I’d love to hear from you what recipe you would like to see made allergy-free.
- 1/2 C. Dairy Free Butter (Earth Balance Buttery sticks)
- 1 1/2 C. Graham cracker crumbs (regular OR gluten-free)
- 6 oz. Vegan chocolate chips (Enjoy Life)
- 1 1/2 C. Unsweetened coconut chips
- 1 1/2 C. Silken Soft Tofu
- 1/4 C. Agave (maple syrup or brown rice syrup)
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place butter in a 9x13” pan and place in oven until melted (approx 1 min). Remove.
- Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over butter and mix together. Press down to create bottom crust.
- In blender, puree tofu and agave until SMOOTH! Pout mixture over the crumbs.
- Top with chocolate chips and then coconut.
- Press down again.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Let cook 15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve (at least 1 hr).
*Make GF by using GF Graham Crackers instead