Easy, delicious, bakery-style cinnamon sugar sour cream donuts. Vegan & allergy-friendly
Back when we first learned of our son’s food allergies, I remember wondering if he’d ever eat cake on his first birthday or have ice cream EVER! I started mentally going through my list of favorite recipes and checking them off, one by one, as recipes he would never be able to eat.
Because of that, my passion has become baking allergy-safe foods for him, and more specifically, baking dessert. I LOVE baking treats! I love taking a recipe and tweaking it to remove and replace all the allergens. I love when the recipe works and a delicious little dessert is created. But most of all, I love seeing the face of my little boy light up when he takes a bite of some treat he never thought he’d be able to eat.
This cinnamon sugar sour cream donut recipe comes from just that….seeing the sadness on Xander’s face when he sees someone else eat something he cannot. Like the donut his sister likes to grab if we get to church early. Or the birthday cake at a friend’s celebration. Or the fresh baked cookies our friends may bring over to a little gathering.
When other families are running to the donut shop, our kitchen becomes the donut shop. The best thing about this recipe, other than being allergy safe for Xander, is that there is no additional rise time which makes it much easier to make in short notice. These donuts are also baked, which is another plus in my book. The less greasy, fried foods, the better!
I hope you enjoy this old-fashioned cake-like Cinnamon Sugar Sour Cream donut recipe like we did. Most of all, I hope you are able to make a treat for your loved one that puts a smile on their face.
Cinnamon Sugar Sour Cream Donuts
Yield 12 donuts
Turn your kitchen into your own donut shop! These cinnamon sugar sour cream donuts will have your kids raving, your mouths smiling and you'll be ok to say they can have another because they are baked, not fried.
- 1 1/3 C. White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/3 C. Cane Sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 C. Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1/4 C. Vanilla Coconut Yogurt
- 1/4 C. Vegan Sour Cream (Tofutti)
- 1/4 C. Coconut Oil melted or Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp. Egg-replacer (ener-g)
- 1 1/2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 C. Vegan Sugar
- 2 TB. Cinnamon
- 1/4 C. Melted Vegan Butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift flour and baking powder in a large bowl then stir in sugar and salt.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix remaining ingredients together. Stir well then add to dry mixture. Do not overmix.
- Lightly spray or oil your donut baking sheets and fill 3/4 full.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until slightly golden on top.
- For topping, brush the tops donut holes with the butter then sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar mix. Dipping the top of the donut also works!
You can make this Gluten Free by using Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Flour and adding 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum.For the last time I made this, I was out of yogurt and used So Delicious Culinary Coconut Milk. Make sure to shake the box well. Optional topping: Vanilla Glaze3 1/2 C. powder sugar1 1/2 tsp. brown rice syrup/agave/honey1 tsp. vanilla extract1/3 C. hot waterMix all ingredients together well and drizzle over donuts while slightly cooled. Allow to dry then re-coat.
Cuisine vegan, dairy free, egg free, nut free
Pin for Later