One of the things that I love about allergy-free baking is the challenge. I enjoy taking a recipe that is known and loved and turn it into a treat that my son, and others that share his allergies can have. I also love being able to hear my friends rave over something and then hear their shock when I tell them it’s vegan.
Like Vegan Oreo Truffles.
Did you notice in the title it says “Oreos”? Did you know they are vegan, which means they are free of dairy and eggs as well as any other animal products. Now don’t mistake vegan for healthy, however, it won’t kill my kid, and so in that terms, it’s healthy enough. (I used regular Oreos, but read the labels, because some DO contain milk and may be in a facility that also produces peanut products).
Oreo Truffles go back a long time; I couldn’t even tell you where it originated from or who gets credit for the original recipe. You may have seen them served on a platter at a party or may have even tasted one (or 3) before. Basically, its crushed Oreos, mixed with cream cheese then coated in chocolate or candy coating. Tastes amazing, but absolutely NOT what you want to hand anyone with food allergies or certain restrictions. Here’s where I come in, making this something you now CAN eat.Here’s how you make it using 3 ingredients.
Chocolate Sandwich Cookie – Oreos OR make this GF by using KinniToos version
Cream Cheese- Tofutti Brand is yummy but Daiya Cream Cheese is completely Top 8 Free
Chocolate Chips – Enjoy Life brand
In a food processor blender, pulse cookies into a fine crumble. Like you’d crush graham crackers when making a crust. You just don’t want to crush it too much that it becomes mushy.
Stir in the softened cream cheese using a sturdy spatula.
Mash it in together and if it helps, feel free to use clean hands and knead it into a quick dough. Roll dough into 1” balls and place on wax paper covered sheet.
Melt your chocolate in 30 seconds intervals until nice and smooth. I like to add a teaspoon of coconut oil just to keep the chocolate nice and shiny.
Dip cookie balls into the chocolate, tap off excess chocolate and set aside on a wax paper covered cookie sheet. Add a few sprinkles if desired or leave as is.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Now you can make your own, Delicious, Raved about, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Nut-free, Vegan, Oreo Truffles (see why I didn’t call it that in the title?). Don’t forget, you can make these delicious and Gluten free as well.
Delicious, easy to make, Oreo Truffles made with only 3 Ingredients. Dairy-free, Egg-free, Nut-free, Vegan with Gluten-free option.
- 1 package Oreos (regular filling, OR Gluten-free brand)
- 1 8 oz container Vegan Cream Cheese, softened (Tofutti or Daiya brand)
- 1 package Vegan Chocolate Chips (Enjoy Life brand)
- Coconut Oil if needed
- In a food processor or blender, finely crush cookies into a fine consistency. Pour into a large bowl.
- Stir in softened cream cheese, using the spatula to press the two into each other to create a nice dough.
- Roll the mixture into 1" balls and set aside on a wax paper covered cookie sheet.
- Melt your chocolate chips (start with half a bag) in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and heat again in 15 second intervals until melted. Stir in a small amount of Coconut Oil to keep chocolate nice and shiny.
- Dip Oreo Balls into melted chocolate, tap off extra and set aside again on the wax paper. Continue until all are covered in chocolate, melting more chocolate if necessary.
- Sprinkle with any decorative sprinkles or crushed cookie if desired.
- Refrigerate to all to set (15 min) then serve.
Do you have any favorite treats from childhood (or adulthood) that you’d like to make “allergy-safe” or Vegan? I’d love to hear about those in the comments below. Who knows, maybe I’ll even include those in an upcoming post for you! As always, you can find me on Instagram, Twitter or Pinterest for more recipes & food allergy/vegan shares.