Blueberry Lemon Cupcakes
If you are like me, I can get this craving for something sweet, however, I tend to go for fruity and light, especially during the warmer seasons. Thankfully I have a ton of cookbooks to pull from and as I went looking for what would make, I found this recipe for Banana Blueberry Cake in Chloe’s Vegan Desserts cookbook and I had to give it a whirl.
Since I was bringing this to a get-together with some friends, I opted for min-cupcakes instead of a 2-layer round cake which was perfect for all the kids we had on hand that night. I also made a few slight changes to the recipe and decided on a completely different topping since my kids seem to always wipe off the icing.
It was the perfect Summer sweet treat. Fresh blueberries, lemon zest and a beautifully tart lemon glaze,,,,,,it’ll bring a smile to your faces and another reason to love Summer.
Blueberry Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Glaze
Nothing says "Summer" like fresh blueberries, especially when kissed with a tart lemon glaze like in these homemade muffins. Allergy friendly, vegan & without refined sugar.
- 2 C. All Purpose Flour ( I used Unbleached AP Flour)
- 3/4 C. Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cloves
- 1/2 tsp. Ginger
- 2 Mashed, Ripe Bananas
- 1 C. Canned Coconut Milk (shake well before measuring)
- 1/2 C. Canola Oil
- 1 TB. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 C. Fresh Blueberries
- LEMON GLAZE
- 1/2 C. Powdered Sugar
- Juice from 1 Lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If you are using a Convection Oven, set it to 325.
- Line 2 mini-muffin pans with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder, salt, and spices).
- In another bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, coconut milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Pour the wet into the dry and whisk until mixed well. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill each tin 3/4 full (if you have a small ice cream scoop, this is perfect for these size pans).
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. If your oven doesn't bake evenly, you may need to rotate the sheets half way through its baking time.
- Let cool before topping with glaze.
- LEMON GLAZE
- Place the powdered sugar in a small bowl.
- Slowly add lemon juice and whisk until you have reached your desired consistency.
- Drizzle on cupcakes once cooled.
Want to make a double layer cake instead? Use 2, 9" round pans and increase your time to 30-35 minutes. Go Gluten-free and substitute Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 GF Flour (no Xanthan Gum required)
I hope you like this as much as I did! And if you have a chance, you can get more recipes from Chloe Coscarelli on her website. Anytime you see a Vegan chef win on Food Network’s Cupcake Wars, you know her desserts are yummy!