Rich, moist chocolate Texas sheet cake topped with chocolate frosting and shredded coconut. Our tried-and-true, allergy-friendly recipe.
To me, this Texas Sheet Cake is truly one of the BEST top 8 Free cakes I’ve had or made! It is moist and melty, rich & chocolatey and will most definitely cause some loud moans from those who take a bite. And there is NOTHING wrong with that because who doesn’t love a little chocolate on chocolate?
My version of Texas sheet cake is free from gluten, nuts and it’s vegan because EVERYONE should be able to eat cake! To get serious for a moment, this recipe is a love story to my Texas born son who was diagnosed with multiple food allergies before his 1st birthday. I once thought he’d miss out on cakes & cookies but that’s when I started creating recipes that were safe for him. Because of him, I see dessert differently and instead of thinking about what he CAN’T have, I see what he CAN have. I want that for you to!
The ingredients are easy to find and substitute BUT the one thing you can’t leave out is the star of the show….. fruity soda! Yep my friends, soda. Can I get a “yee-haw“?
Fruity soda makes this Texas sheet cake & frosting amazing & cause your taste buds to do a little dance in your mouth. Keep it healthier & choose Dr. Zevia which is GF, Vegan & free from all the yucky sugars. If you’re like “It’s cake and I’m using the real stuff“, then go for it and pop open a can of Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke.
Then get your forks ready! Once this cake comes out of the oven, you’ll be pouring the warm fudgy frosting all over this decadent Texas sheet cake and be digging in! IF you let it sit a minute, the frosting will start to crackle and that short wait is worth it, but not all of us have been given the virtue of patience!
Warm chocolate cake, drenched in a rich, chocolaty fudgy frosting for an amazing allergy-friendly twist on classic Texas Sheet Cake.
- 1 1/2 Cups fruity soda (like Cherry Coke or Dr. Pepper)
- 1 Cup coconut oil
- 1/2 Cup cacao powder
- 2 Cups GF flour
- 1 Cup cane sugar
- 1/2 Cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. fine Himalayan salt
- 1/2 Cup “buttermilk” (add 1 TB. lemon juice & top off with coconut milk)
- 2 egg replacers (Bob’s Red Mill or Flax Egg)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- coconut oil spray
- 1 1/4 Cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 Cup vegan butter
- 1/4 Cup safe chocolate chips
- 3 TB. coconut milk
- 3 TB. fruity soda
- 3-4 Cups vegan powder sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray 17×12″ sheet pan.
- In a medium saucepan, bring first 3 ingredients to a medium boil, stirring often. Then remove from heat.
- Whisk flour, sugars, baking soda & salt together in a large bowl. Add warm mixture and whisk until blended. Whisk in “buttermilk”, eggs & vanilla. Pour batter into prepared sheet pan.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean.
Make the Fudge:
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter & chocolate chips, whisking often until smooth.
- Remove from heat & whisk in milk and soda. Gradually sift in powder sugar and vanilla until smooth. Poor immediately over warm cake.
When using gluten-free flour, cake could take a little longer to bake so keep an eye on it.
For the chocolate lovers
If you’re craving more chocolate recipes while you’re waiting for your Texas sheet cake to bake, here are a few more of my favorite recipes posted so far: German Chocolate Cake , Chocolate Zucchini Muffins, Double Chocolate Pancakes or The BEST Allergy-friendly Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cup.
Pin for Later
Let’s be social
Follow Allergylicious on Facebook and invite your friends! Find me on Instagram and Tag #allergylicious with your awesome remakes! You can also find me on Pinterest sharing the newest, delicious, allergy-friendly foods.
If you like this recipe & want to see more like this, simply subscribe to Allergylicious in the side box and you’ll get every new recipe directly to your inbox! You can also download my ebook called Eat Dessert First which puts our favorite recipes right at your fingertips, wherever you go.1