Chocolate Zucchini Muffins as divine as a cupcake, but healthy & loaded with veggies! This is a great way to sneak in your veggies and have the kids begging more more.
Poor little muffins,,,,,. They’re never invited to be the star at a birthday party or baby shower, they don’t get all the beautiful frosting and decorations and most of the time, they are just wrapped up or boxed up only to be consumed as a quick and easy breakfast option.
I’ll admit, I don’t like very many store bought muffins. They are too dry, too fake tasting, too sticky, too sugary, too boring, too whatever. So I totally get why cupcakes are favored, however, what if there was a muffin that was soft & fluffy like a cupcake, rich & chocolatey like a cupcake, but healthy enough for breakfast and indulgent enough for dessert? Well, there is!
These Chocolate Zucchini muffins are made with cacao powder (superfood power), they have no refined sugar (only brown rice syrup was used), very little oil (2 tablespoons of coconut oil then natural applesauce for the rest), packed with veggie power (shredded zucchini) and they are free from MOST of the top food allergens (no dairy, eggs, soy, fish, shellfish, peanuts & tree nuts). Of course, you can also make them completely allergy free by using your favorite GF Blend (Bob’s Red Mill 1-to1 produces amazing results).
Are you intrigued yet, or does the thought of zucchini in your muffin freak you out just a little?
This is not one of those chocolate zucchini muffins that tastes like it’s filled with veggies, if you get what I mean. We’ve all had something like that. It may have been a green smoothie that tasted like dirt, or a harvest muffin all in its chunky, veggie glory, or a feeble attempt at some bean filled brownie that actually tastes like a bunch of baked beans. Those are no fun & no good! BUT THIS IS!!!! I wouldn’t steer you wrong, because as much as I love eating my veggies, I don’t like tasting them in my chocolate.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention my secret ingredient which is NOT zucchini. IN fact, it is the type of coconut milk I used, So Delicious Coconut Chocolate Milk . I just happened to have a few single serve containers in the fridge and decided to use this instead of plain coconut milk. Although I’m sure that would have still tasted wonderful, I feel like the extra chocolate boost makes this little muffin feel better when sitting next to its cupcake
rival friend., especially when topped with a few extra mini chocolate chips.
And if you’re a fan of zucchini bread, you must also head over to Mindful Eats and print off Erin’s Gluten-free Zucchini Bread recipe for later.
So what are you waiting for? Say “no” to cupcakes (at least for today) and say “yes” to these Chocolate Zucchini Muffins. You’re kids will thank you for it!
Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Surprise!!! Not only are these vegan muffins just as divine as a cupcake, they're healthy too. Your kids will gladly eat their veggies without all the sugar & allergens.
- 1 1/4 C. Whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 C. Cacao powder (cocoa power also will work)
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan sea salt
- 2 TB. Coconut oil
- 1/3 C. Brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Egg replacers (see notes)
- 1 Zucchini, shredded & squeezed dry (approx 1 C.)
- 1/4 C. Natural, unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 C. So Delicious Chocolate flavored, coconut milk
- 3/4 C. Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips (divided 1/2 C. & 1/4 C.)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 12 cup muffin tins with liners and spray insides with nonstick spray.
- Shred your zucchini and place in a colander. Squeeze liquids out! You want this nice & dry, as best as possible.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cacao powder, baking soda & salt.
- In a large bowl (or your kitchen aid bowl), add coconut oil, brown rice syrup, vanilla & egg replacer. Mix on medium until smooth.
- Add zucchini shreds, applesauce, & coconut milk. SLOWLY combine (it'll splatter) then add in dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fold in 1/2 C. chocolate chips.
- Evenly distribute batter into prepared liners. Sprinkle each with a few extra chocolate chips.
- Bakes 22-24 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let sit at least 5 minutes, then remove from tins and let cool on wire rack.
For Egg Substitute: Neat Egg works great. 1 TB powder + 2 TB Water. Mix quickly, it gels up FAST! Flax Meal is my other favorite. 1 TB. meal + 2.5 TB. water. Whisk & let sit a minute.
In case you’re craving more zucchini filled goodies, head over to get my Zucchini Bread recipe. It’s my kids favorite bread recipe!