The other day I purchased a couple really nice looking zucchini squash with the intention of turning them into pasta with my spiral maker. As you can probably guess from the photo above, I opted for using them to make bread instead. Sure the pasta would have been a whole lot healthier, but it wouldn’t satisfy our sweet tooth nearly as well.
I’ve actually been making this recipe for years, but this is the first time I made it Gluten and Wheat free. Prior to Xander’s new diagnosis, we were able to use wheat, spelt and buckwheat which provided more options for baking. However, I couldn’t let that stop me from trying to make one of his favorite breads. And since this turned out so well, I HAD to share it with you all!
Doesn’t it look yummy?
Zucchini Bread worth Making
You can't go wrong with Zucchini Brad, especially when its allergy-friendly and Vegan. No dairy, eggs or nuts, just AMAZING
- 6 TB. Ground Flax Meal whisked into 1/2 C. +1 TB. warm water (set aside)
- 1/2 C. Coconut Oil, melted
- 1/2 C. Natural Applesauce
- 2 C. Light Brown Sugar (I used 1 C. Brown sugar & 1 C. Date Sugar in this recipe)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 C. Grated Zucchini (approx 3 medium)
- 2 1/2 C. All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 1/2 C. Sweet Sorghum Flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3 TB. Baking Soda
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Xanthum Gum
- 1 TB. Cinnamon
- 2 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 C. Dairy Free Chocolate Chips (optional but recommended)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and lightly flour 2, 8x4” loaf pans.
- Wash & Grate zucchini. Set in a colander over bowl and lightly press to remove some of its water. Set aside.
- With a paddle attachment, blend together flax mix, oil, applesauce, sugar and vanilla. Add in zucchini until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flours, salt, baking soda and powder, xanthum gum, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add into wet mixture and blend until evenly combined.
- If using chocolate chips, fold in at this time.
- Divide batter, evenly between pans.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes until center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack in pan before slicing.