Let me be Frank with you….these Hot Veggie Dogs are good! ( do you see what I did there? My oldest son, who enjoys a good PUN would be so proud).
Seriously, these are stinking amazing!
There have only been a few times that a new food concept had me intrigued (like when meringue was being made from aquafaba – the liquid from canned chickpeas) and this is one of those times. Let me explain.
As a kid growing up, I never was a fan of burgers. I remember on the rare occasion that we went to a restaurant, I only wanted a hot dog, NEVER a burger. I always thought burgers were kinda gross, little did I know that hot dogs are kinda gross too! Regardless of what I knew back then in my youth, it was my dinner of choice during a birthday celebration. Something about chili from a can and grilled dogs was all this small town girl needed to ring in the next year of life.
Now, now, don’t judge! I cannot be held responsible for what I did not know. For me, it wasn’t until high school that people started talking about all the animal parts a hot dog was actually made from, and it wasn’t until I started studying nutrition, that I learned of all the health risks that came with processed foods like hot dogs. In case you’re wondering what those all are & if you are a visual learner like me, I put this together for you…
But I know what you’re thinking…so, what are my options, because Summer is coming and so are the BBQ’s? For many steering away from animal products, veggie or tofu dogs are the next best alternative. And although they are cruelty free and do not contain all the above body parts or risks, there are some who would rather stay clear of anything processed, which I completely understand! There are others who need to stay away from Soy, and if that is the case, then tofu dogs just won’t cut it for you. Some alternative meat products also contain nuts, which again, is another “no-no” for anyone with a nut allergy.
Can you see why I’m excited about this Carrot Dog? It’s real food, not processed, allergy safe, cruelty free & really tastes soooo good.
Here’s how you make them!
Cook your peeled carrots in boiling water until fork tender, then let them sit overnight in a marinade (basically vinegar, tamari & seasonings). Be sure to use Coconut Aminos if keeping it soy free since the others sauces still contain soy.
After they’ve marinated overnight, either cook on a frying pan or toss on your BBQ.
Eat as is (you’ve never had carrots like this before) OR place in a bun of choosing & add your favorite toppings. We all know that’s the best part of a hot dog anyways. Do you like yours with Mustard, Ketchup & Relish?
Or, do you like to add a lot more to it? Maybe diced onions & sauerkraut is your thing?
It’s all good, no matter what way you choose to dress it up! Just remember to invite me over when you decide to make these :).Print
Crazy good Veggie Carrot Dogs. Real Food, real easy. These are the best veggie dogs around.
- 1/3 C. Filtered water or Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 C. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 TB. Sesame Oil
- 1/4 C. Coconut Aminos, Tamari, Soy Sauce or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. Onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. Ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 6–8 carrots, peeled, skinny end trimmed off to fit Bun
- 8 Hot dog buns or choosing (Gluten free, homemade, whole wheat or even tortilla wraps)
- Toppings of Choice:
- Ketchup, mustard, pickles, sauerkraut, diced onions, chili, etc.
- In a large pot, heat water to boiling. Add carrots & cook until fork tender (8-10 minutes).
- While the carrots are boiling, combine broth (or water), ACV,sesame oil, tamari, and spices in a large, ziplock bag. Set aside.
- Remove carrots from water and rinse under cold water. Then add to bag with marinade.
- Let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- PAN COOK:
- Add to frying pan, a drizzle of marinade and heat through, 8-10 minutes. Be sure to turn carrots so they are evenly cooked. Add a little bit of marinade to pan while cooking if needed.
- Toss carrots on lightly sprayed grill and heat through, making sure to turn occasionally so they do not burn.
- OVEN BAKE: Don’t want to wait overnight? Then follow these steps….
- In a saucepan, heat marinade and allow to simmer a few minutes.
- Place peeled and sized carrots with a drizzle of oil in a casserole pan.
- Pour marinade over carrots, cover with foil and let sit 30-60 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Place carrots with marinade, still covered in foil in the oven and roast approximately 20 minutes.
- You still want these to be fork tender, NOT MUSHY.
- Place carrot dog in hot dog bun and add toppings of your choice.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan & Gluten Free
What was your favorite food as a child?
Did you like burgers or hot dogs best?0