One pan, skillet pasta with sauteed mushrooms, white beans and vegan sausage! Even your picky eaters will love this!
Do you ever have those evenings when you’re just feeling lazy about making dinner? Or maybe you’re just tired of spending more time cleaning up the mess, than you actually spend eating?
Before you head to the drive through or spend money on dinner out, let me show you one of my kids favorite meals. This skillet pasta recipe takes less than 20 minutes from beginning to end and other than the pasta, everything can be made in 1 pan. Winner Winner Pasta Dinner!!
Loaded with Flavor
A quick and easy skillet pasta, loaded with incredible flavor,,,, say it ain’t so! Delicious chunks of vegan Italian sausage are combined with veggie broth, onion, mushrooms, cannellini beans, gluten-free pasta, and shredded parmesan cheese for a healthy and comforting meal. You’ll love every bite.
Plant-based and Gluten-free
You’ll also love that this skillet pasta is very easy to customize, based on your dietary restrictions. For example….
- Sausage – Tofurkey Italian Sausage is a delicious, plant-based product but it is not gluten-free. Since we’ve been doing more and more gluten-free to help with my daughter’s stomach issues, I’ve started making this with Hilary’s Spicy Veggie Sausage which is both vegan & gluten-free. Carnivore friends, well, you can either sub in your favorite brand OR how about trying this plant-based version first. I promise you won’t miss it one bit!
- Shredded Parmesan – Follow Your Heart makes an amazing vegan and gluten-free shredded parm. It’s like sprinkling on a little taste of Italy. If you want a more melty-cheezy topping, then add a little Daiya shredded mozzarella. No one ever complained about having too much cheesiness.
- Pasta – Pick your favorite noodles here BUT, if you are looking for a protein packed, plant-based pasta that is also gluten-free, then you need to try Banza . Chickpeas are the base for this brand and creates the stability so you don’t get “mushy” pasta.
Doesn’t everything about this this just look and sound delicious? It is the kind of meal you can survive on all fall and winter. Good for you ingredients, comforting flavors and most importantly, ridiculously easy to make.
Try this pasta dish the next time you want a fast home-cooked meal. I promise, it’ll be quicker and healthier than ordering takeout!Print
Easy Vegan Skillet Pasta with “sausage”, mushrooms and white beans. A simple & flavorful meal the whole family will love! Vegan, nut-free and gluten-free
- 1 lb penne, rigatoni or favorite gluten-free pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 oz italian sausage (Tofurkey or Hilary’s for GF option )
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh lemon juice
- shredded parmesan (Follow Your Heart-V,GF)
- In a large pot of boiling, generously salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente; drain well but reserve 1 cup.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add crumbled sausage and cook, stirring until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Return pan to stove and heat 1 tablespoon oil again over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms, and cook until onion and softened and mushrooms are golden, about 6 minutes. Add broth, scraping off bits from bottom of pan.
- Add beans, thyme, red pepper flakes and reserved sausage with any liquid from it. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer until mixture has thickened slightly.
- When sauce veggie mixture is ready, pour noodles over mix and add a splash of lemon juice. Toss to combine. If pasta looks too dry, add a little of the reserved pasta water.
- Season more to taste and serve with shredded parmesan cheese.
Craving More Carbs?2