Homemade, Top 8 free & delicious! Easy to make, protein candy bars to make grab & go snacking healthier & allergy-friendly
Grocery shopping for a family with special dietary restrictions has gotten easier over the years. I have found that it is safest to stay on the outside of the aisles and stick with mostly fruits and veggies. Once I make my way toward the center of the store it is filled with all kinds of processed foods and very little of them are safe for our little guy. Occasionally you find a specialty item that seems like a life saver but for the most part, it’s a tricky time walking through those areas, especially when it comes to Protein Bars.
Allergy friendly Protein Bars
Back in the day, I never gave much thought to granola bars or protein bars, other than the amount of calories or protein it contained. My older 2 kids, loved having bars on hand for car rides, school trips or just when the munchies took hold of their little bellies. Boy! Did that change after Xander. I have yet to find 1 really safe bar for Xander in a traditional store. It not only has to be Vegan (free from eggs and dairy) but also nut free. A plus if its gluten-free as well. Our specialty store started carrying one that he loves, but it is a little over $2 for a tiny bar. I’ll pay that to keep my child safe, but since we go through bars like crazy, I figured I’d just make them myself.
One day, my Spin Instructor brought some homemade bars into the gym. They were so good, that I had to make them. With a little tweaking, I was able to make these delicious bars that I like to call, Protein Candy Bars, because they taste like candy but loaded with protein.
Protein Bar Ingredients
Using 5 simple ingredients, that are Top 8 free, you can easily make a batch of these yourself. No baking required! The ingredients are also completely flexible.
- SunButter– SunButter comes in a variety of options. Simply pick the one you like the best. I’ve used Crunchy, Organic & Natural and they all turn out wonderful.
- Sweetener– I first started making these with honey. Then I switched to Brown Rice Syrup. Either one will sweeten it up perfectly but if you use a honey, just make sure to find a local farmer who treats his bees with love!
- Protein Powder– There are a lot of options out there but I have been using Arbonne for the past year. Its certified non-GMO, Gluten-free, vegan and its also NOT loaded with sugars (other than stevia & fruit). The product itself is nut-free but the facility is not, so keep that in mind.
- 1- 16oz jar SunButter Organic Spread (can also use Natural or Crunchy blend)
- 1 cup liquid sweetener (brown rice syrup, agave or local honey)
- 4 scoops chocolate allergy-friendly protein powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups gluten-free crispy brown rice cereal
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, combine SunButter & sweetener. Heat for 60-90 seconds, until it stirs easily.
- Add protein powder & cocoa. Stir to incorporate.
- Stir in cereal then mix well.
- Press into lined pan and refrigerate. (I like to lightly spray or oil my hands before pressing into pan so they don't stick).
- When firm (45-60 minutes), lift exposed ends of parchment out of pan to remove protein mix. Cut into 24 bars.
- Wrap each one in foil and freeze extras if desired. OR keep covered and refrigerated up to 2 wee
- Brown rice syrup is not quite as sweet as honey but better for those needing to decrease their sugar intake. As far as sweeteners go, it is vegan, kosher, gluten free, all-natural, nearly always organic, and one of the healthiest sugar substitutes other than stevia.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 84mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is only an estimate based off of using an online calculator. Numbers will change depending on brands used.