I love smoothies, but I’m not talking about the sugar filled, 1,000+ calorie ones that you buy from a Smoothie chain. I’m talking about the make-it-yourself, nutrition packed glass you can throw together in your very own kitchen. And when you are short on time but not willing to sacrifice nutrition for convenience, its a smoothie that I tend to turn to.
Simple but strategic, you can load your blender with foods that not only taste good but will also promote health. Leafy greens promote a healthy immune system, fruit provides soluble fiber which helps eliminate carcinogens from the body, avocado (also a fruit) providing a healthy fat and additional creaminess and don’t forget about protein to keep your brain functioning at optimal levels.
- 2 C. Nondairy milk (ex. almond)
- 1 C. Packed spinach leaves
- 1 Banana
- 1/2 Apple chopped with skin on
- 1/2 C. Berries
- 1/2 Medium Avocado
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder (Sunwarrior Natural)
- (I also like to throw in a handful of parsley if I have it on hand)
- Throw fruit and veggies in your high powered blender and chop.
- Add in liquid and protein powder and blend until smooth.
- Throw in 3-4 ice cubes if desired until you reach your desired consistency.