I’m going to start by letting you know that this dessert is not healthy. What it is, is FAST, EASY, & quite tasty. It is also, dairy free, egg free, and nut free. All which meet our allergy needs. It can also be gluten-free, depending on the choice of cookie you use OR vegan if you use another form of marshmallows (like Dandies).
I try to make sure I have a dish or dessert made, every Wednesday night for our church group, regardless of whether or not I’m on the food schedule. It allows me to make sure that Xander has a “safe” treat and I also use it as my “test kitchen”. I figure if my non-vegan, non-allergy friends all rave about what I bring, then it’s worth adding to the blog.
This treat basically came out of the need to make something fast the other night. I had been sick all week and slowly on the mend so I didn’t have enough energy to go all-out. What I did have, was a package of Oreo cookies & marshmallows. I could work with that.
I threw half a package of Oreos in my Ninja and pulsed until it chopped up all the cookies into tiny pieces.
Then I melted the marshmallows on high for 1 minute. They won’t look entirely melted, but once you start stirring with a spatula, it’ll break down even further. Just remember to use miniature marshmallows, or cut your larger ones into quarters so they will melt evenly and quickly.
Pour the chopped cookie pieces into your melted marshmallows and stir away.
If you spray your spatula beforehand, it’ll help with the marshmallows not sticking as much.
Then, once it’s all mixed together, scoop mixture into a lightly sprayed, square baking dish. Spread and press down.
You don’t have to wait long, just a few minutes for it to cool and set.
Marshmallow Cookie Magic
Yield 16 -24
Magically sweet & simple to make Oreo marshmallows bars. DF,EF,NF with gluten-free option
- 1 bag miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 package chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreos or Newman's O's)
- Non-stick baking spray
- Coat a 8x8 baking dish lightly with spray. Set aside.
- In a blender, pulse cookies until small crumbles are formed.
- In a large bowl, microwave marshmallows on high for 1 minute.
- Stir marshmallows. If needed, heat additional 10-15 seconds to melt.
- Add crumbled cookies to marshmallows and stir with a lightly sprayed spatula.
- Once the cookies are evenly mixed into the melted marshmallows, spread evenly into your prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly press down and cover with plastic wrap.
- Allow to sit 10 minutes before cutting into bite size pieces.
Do not refrigerate. These will stay for up to 3 days (if they last that long) if covered well on the counter.
Perfectly easy, 2-ingredient, allergy-friendly dessert in less than 10 minutes. How magical is that?0