Maple Glazed Donut Muffins are easy to make, deliciously drizzled with glaze & perfect to serve as a breakfast treat! Vegan, Nut-free & GF
We’ve been making these Maple Glazed Donut Muffins for years! In fact, a similar recipe was posted almost 7 years ago when this blog went by another name and the photos were not so pretty 😂. So, today, we are bringing them back and showing you the little changes that were made to make this not only vegan & nut-free, but also gluten-free so all my GF friends can enjoy as well.
This recipe initially came about when I was trying to find Xander a donut he could eat….a rather difficult task when you can’t have anything with dairy or eggs. Then add that it also has to be free from nuts, and that rules out almost everything! So……into the pantry I went, gathering all my favorite ingredients, hoping to create a treat that would bring a smile to his face.
You don’t have to choose
I’m not really a donut fan, unless it’s a cakey donut. Forget those sugar sweet, melt in your mouth donuts…I want something heartier than that. Therefore, instead of choosing between making a doughnut and a muffin, I figured we’d have the best of both worlds! These “Free from” maple glazed doughnut muffins are perfect for those of us that just can’t make up our minds in the morning! AND they are guaranteed to bring a smile to your face as well.
Adaptable Maple Glazed Donut Muffins
You may not have the same allergies or restrictions that our family does, but that’s ok. Like most of my recipes, this is easily adaptable. I find that most people ask me about the use of egg replacers and in the past, I’ve had luck with both Neat Egg and Ener-G Egg Replacer. However, using free range eggs is also an option for those of you who aren’t egg-free. Not on a g-free diet? Have no fear, regular all-purpose flour works perfectly too. That’s what we used originally in this recipe.
Live Love Bake
I absolutely love baking and I really love making recipes that my family and friends can eat freely, like these Maple Glazed Donut Muffins. And in case you’re looking for a few more allergy-friendly baked goods, how about Chocolate Banana Split Muffins from Eat Dairy Free, Chocolate Zucchini Muffins, Baked Pumpkin Donuts or Double Chocolate Donuts from Allergy Awesomeness.com. You just can’t go wrong with donuts or muffins for breakfast.
Let’s Get Baking
Print off the recipe, grab the ingredients and put on your apron….it’s time to make some donut muffins!
For the Muffins
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (Earth Balance Soy Free)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/3 cup granulated cane sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 egg replacers (2 TB Neat Egg + 4TB water)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanillla extract
- 2 2/3 cups 1-for-1 GF Blend or All Purpose Flour (Used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 cup dairy free milk (coconut or flax)
For the Glaze
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line 12 cup muffin tin with liners.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, use paddle attachment and beat together butter, oil and sugars until smooth. Add in egg replacer. Turn mixer to low speed and add baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and vanilla until combined. Stir in the flour and milk, alternately and combine.
- Spoon batter into cups, filling 3/4. Bake until muffin tops are pale golden and spring to the touch 15-18 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in tin before transferring to a wire rack and cool 10 more minutes before glazing.
- While muffins are cooling, melt butter in saucepan, add sugar and vanilla. Add water then stir in maple syrup.
- Drizzle muffins with glaze or dip tops of muffins into glaze. Enjoy!
Do you liked baked good for breakfast? Are you team donut or team muffin?
Share your answer below and if you give this recipe a try, please leave me a comment below with your feedback as well. I’d love to see your amazing pictures too – find me on Bloglovin, Instagram and/ or Facebook and be sure to tag @allergylicious so I don’t miss it. 😘
PIN FOR LATER
Craving more? Sign up for the Allergylicious newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! Grab a copy of my eBook and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.