Candied ginger makes this Cranberry Sauce anything but basic, yet, it is so easy and delicious, you’ll never want to buy anything from a can again.
Everywhere I turn, Christmas is already happening. The store aisles are full of decorations, neighborhood homes are all lit up in beautiful twinkling lights and every toy catalog has found its way into my living room. It is definitely beginning to look a lot like Christmas,,,,,although Thanksgiving hasn’t even happened yet. In fact, Thanksgiving is still 2 days away!
So before you jump ahead of yourself and start planning for next month, I want you to take a moment and enjoy the present. Think about all the things you are thankful for before you start working on everyone’s “I want” list.
When I think about being thankful, one of the things that come to mind is living in a time where it is easy to create delicious, allergy-friendly foods. This wasn’t the case 9 years ago when “safe” food options were almost unheard of but it taught me how to make foods from scratch and rely on real ingredients. Something else I am very thankful for.
During Thanksgiving past, I would typically have grabbed a can of two of cranberry jelly and would have been happy with that. However, now that I cook differently, I’ve learned to make my own homemade Cranberry Sauce with Candied Ginger. This is much more delicious than anything store-bought. You know what else looks delicious, this Cranberry Orange Sauce from my friend, Texanerin.
Only 7 ingredients in this Cranberry Sauce with Candied Ginger
- Real orange juice
- Pure extract
- Cane brown sugar
- Fresh, organic cranberries
- Ground ginger
- Crystalized Ginger
- Orange Zest
and less than 20 minutes of time, and you too can bring “real food” back to your table this holiday.
Your family and friends will Thank you for it!
Print Your Recipe
- 1/2 C. real orange juice
- 2 TB. artificial rum extract ( OR 1 TB. pure almond + 1 TB. pure vanilla extract)
- 1 C. brown cane sugar
- 1 (12-oz) bag fresh cranberries
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 C. candied ginger, chopped fine
- 1 TB. orange zest
- In a medium size saucepan, put orange juice, rum flavor & sugar and heat over medium.
- Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add cranberries and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add ground ginger and candied ginger, then simmer, stirring often until cranberries have popped and sauce has thickened, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in zest.
- Let cool and garnish with additional candied ginger if desired.