Over the years we have greatly decreased the amount of bread we eat in the house. As a once “go-to” for all things breakfast, lunch and dinner, it’s now only used occasionally and the quality of bread has gone from typical bagged breads to sprouted or homemade ones.
So when I made this the other day, my oldest let me know the he “loved when I made bread”. Sweet right? I guess my kids have learned to enjoy the little things, like homemade bread.
Now you could make this recipe with only 3 ingredients if you have a self-rising flour but since that was the ONLY flour missing from my cabinet, I opted to make my own by simply adding baking powder and salt. Still pretty minimal, right? With only 5 ingredients, I was able to make these fluffy biscuits and still never use dairy or eggs.
Are you ready to make some biscuits?
Whisk together your dry ingredients using a pastry blender and cut in the coconut oil. That’s right, coconut oil! No shortening or lard in this recipe. This is a healthier, allergy safe version and who needs all that stuff anyways when the dough starts to come together like this crumbly mixture.
Stir in the dairy-free milk (I used unsweetened coconut milk) until a soft dough forms and it pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Then knead away on a lightly floured board. Do not over do it or else you can cause it to become tough and break apart more easily.
Then, roll it out. I rolled my dough out until it reached 1/2″ in thickness and used the top of a glass to make my cut outs. Who needs a fancy biscuit cutter when a simple glass will do?
Transfer to your baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. You’ll want them to rise and become lightly brown on top.
Let them cool a few minutes before serving, if you can wait that long. Once the smell of freshly baked biscuits start to filter through the house, you’ll have a few hungry monsters looking at you asking “can I eat one now?”. Hopefully you have still have some homemade Dragonfruit Strawberry Jam on hand to make the smiles even bigger.
- 2 C. Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Unbleached Flour
- 1 TB. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 C. solid coconut oil (not melted)
- 3/4 C. unsweetened coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Preheat oven to 425 (or 400 if using convection oven).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add in the coconut oil and cut in using a pastry cutter until your dough resembles a small crumbly mixture.
- Add in your milk and stir until a soft dough forms and starts to pull from sides of bowl.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll to 1/2" thickness. Cut out 2" circles using the top of a glass or biscuit cutter.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until fluffy and golden on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 slightly before serving.