Salty, buttery, chocolatey…….need I say more?
I guess it wouldn’t be a fun read if I just ended there, but here’s the thing, these treats just don’t need a whole lot of talking about. Their deliciousness really speaks for itself.
All my kids need to say is “can you make those cracker things” and I know exactly what they are asking for.
I first tasted a similar dessert while at a baby shower many years ago. Although I can’t remember whose shower it was, I do remember this dessert. It was sitting on a beautifully decorated table, full of pretty plates, pink decor & color coordinated flowers. The dessert table is always the prettiest. But in a sea of cupcakes, cookies and pastries, this dessert stood apart. It was different than anything I had before…. crunchy & gooey, salty & sweet,,,, like “WOW”.
The slightly salty, crunch comes from the crackers. Although I used a traditional saltine cracker, there are a few GF brands out there that you could use in its place, however, they typically have a secondary ingredient like eggs or milk that you have to watch out for. Glutino Table Crackers has the closest to allergy-safe (no gluten, dairy, nuts or eggs) but they do have soy, so ALWAYS read your labels.
Then, it’s the melted butter & powdered sugar that gives it a rich, caramel like flavor and thankfully, now there’s some pretty awesome vegan butters out there (like Earth Balance) to make this happen. No dairy required!
Then there’s the chocolate. Enjoy Life Foods has a delicious mini chocolate chip that is my absolute favorite to use anytime chocolate is required. All their chips are Top 8 free, which makes them the perfect allergy-friendly substitute.
Ummm, doesn’t that look delicious?
I could be mean and keep you reading, but I know you want to just skip ahead and print off this recipe.
- 2 packets of "safe" saltine crackers
- 1 C. Earth Balance, soy free butter (2 sticks)
- 1 C. Vegan powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 6 oz. Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Line a 10"x15", rimmed baking sheet with foil and line up crackers, side by side, salted side up.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter and whisk in powdered sugar & vanilla.
- Bring to a boil and stir occasionally until it starts to thicken into a more syrupy consistency (5 minutes)
- Pour syrup evenly on crackers, starting in the middle. Spread if needed.
- Cook 5 minutes in preheated oven then remove.
- Top with chocolate chips and let sit approximately 3 minutes, until chips start to soften and are spreadable. Spread evenly on crackers.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Break apart shortly before serving and store extras in a sealed container in the fridge.
Have you ever hosted a baby or bridal shower? If not, what about birthday party? If you answered yes to any of those, what is on your vegan/allergy-friendly “must make” list?
Or maybe you have a favorite chocolate combination. Salty & sweet, spicy & sweet, dark & nutty…there’s so many but I’d love to hear yours.
Don’t forget to share your answers below,,, It’s much more fun when everyone participates 🙂
Let’s continue to connect & encourage others with food allergies & restrictions. Follow Xander Friendly Foods on Facebook and Instagram for the newest, allergy-friendly & vegan, Foodspiration then visit me on Twitter to join all the #hashtag fun! Pinterest is another wonderful way to share with others, so be sure to follow me there too & “pin” like crazy!
If you like this recipe & want to see more like this, simply subscribe to Xander Friendly Foods in the top box and you’ll get every new recipe directly to your inbox! Perfect for those of us who hate waiting!
See you soon!