Pancakes are great, waffles are wonderful but CINNAMON ROLLS….those are amazing, especially when they are free of dairy, eggs & nuts!
(You are at the right place, Allergylicious USE to be Xander Friendly Foods, so don’t let any of the images fool ya! I wanted to make sure that recipes like these Cinnamon Rolls were something everyone could eat, not just Xander)
We’re kinda boring when it comes to breakfast Monday -Friday. It’s either oatmeal, a protein shake or toast with SunButter or avocado on top. That’s mostly how we roll here in the Dawson home, so don’t feel bad because you haven’t made a beautiful pancake stack this week. I just honestly don’t have time for that during the school year, HOWEVER, weekends are a different story! Weekends are the perfect time to pull out your apron, grab your mixing bowls and make something amazing! Cinnamon Rolls are amazing!
Cinnamony, sugary sweet, rolled dough baked to sticky perfection.
Cinnamon rolls were one of those treats that I wouldn’t have thought would ever grace our weekend mornings again but I’m here to tell you that “safe”, delicious cinnamon rolls exist! The only top 8 allergen they contain is wheat and if you are a fan of Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour, you just may want to give that one a try. That is by far, the best flour substitute I’ve found without having to do a lot of other add-ins.
It’s not too difficult to do, but you do have to wait and allow the dough to rise. Making it the night before helps those of us who aren’t as patient as we should be. In the morning, bring it to room temperature, and let the fun begin.
Roll the dough out into a nice rectangle shape, spread with butter (vegan of course), then sprinkle with your cinnamon sugar mix. I found that even though I thought it looked like a lot of topping, it really wasn’t so I could have used the whole thing. NEXT TIME!
Roll the dough nice and snug, then cut into equal size rounds.
Snugly fit into your baking dish and bake. Once the dough is nice and baked through (you’ll see the dough rise again and get nice and brown on the top), remove from the oven and drizzle with your icing.
Can you see the LOVE in that bite?
Are you ready to make some Cinnamon Rolls……….
Cinnamon sugar, baked into breakfast perfection!
- 1 envelope of active yeast (Quick Rise)
- 1/4 C. warm water
- 1 C. plus 1 tsp. Cane Sugar
- 1/2 C. Earth Balance BUtter, softened
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 C. coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 TB. lemon juice
- 5 C. all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 C. Earth Balance Butter, softened
- 1/2 C. firm packed light brown sugar
- Cream Cheese Icing
- Stir together yeast and warm water with 1 tsp. sugar in a glass cup and set aside to rise.
- Beat 1/2 C. butter on medium until smooth and creamy. Slowly add in granulated sugar and 1 tsp. salt. Continue beating on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add flax eggs, coconut milk and lemon juice. Continue beating then add in yeast mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir nutmeg into 4 1/2 C. flour. (Keep remaining flour for later).
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture and beat on low speed only until blended, 1 minute.
- Flour your flat surface heavily, then turn dough out and knead until smooth and elastic. Usually 5 minutes. Add more bread flour as needed to prevent sticking. Roll into large ball and place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm location until size has doubled (1-2 hours).
- Punch down dough, turn out onto a lightly floured surface then roll into a 12x16" rectangle.
- Spread with soft butter and be sure to leave 1" around the edges.
- Stir together brown sugar, cinnamon and remaining cane sugar and sprinkle mixture over butter.
- Roll up dough, starting at the long side. Cut into 16 equal pieces the place cut side down in a lightly sprayed pan (2-9" pans or 1-large 12" rectangle). Cover with plastic wrap and let rise again 1 hour to allow to double.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. Cool just a few minutes then spread with icing.
Make ahead of time, but cover with foil and refrigerate before last rise. Allow to rise on the counter in the morning, the bake as directed.
What does your morning breakfast routine typically look like?
Is there a special breakfast that you thought you’d have to give up due to food allergies or restrictions?
If I could recreate that for you, what would it be? I’d love help make your mornings even more delicious.
Don’t forget to share your answers below,,, It’s much more fun when everyone participates 🙂
Follow Allergylicious on Facebook and invite your friends! Find me on Instagram and Tag #allergylicious with your awesome remakes! You can also find me on Pinterest sharing the newest, delicious, allergy-friendly foods.
If you like this recipe & want to see more like this, simply subscribe to Allergylicious in the side box and you’ll get every new recipe directly to your inbox! Perfect for those of us who hate waiting!
Happy Baking! 🙂0