Are you sick of oats? I don’t think I’ll ever be, but it is still nice to switch up my grains in the morning. Polenta cooked with nondairy milk is extra creamy and goes wonderfully with warmed berries. Extra points for keeping some Simple Cashew Cream (page 186) on hand to dollop onto this delicious breakfast.
- 2 cups (470 ml) unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- 1 cup (140 g) polenta grits
- ¼ cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1 cup (145 g) fresh blueberries
- 1 cup (140 g) fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Simple Cashew Cream (optional recipe in cookbook)
Optional Cashew Cream:
- 1 cup (140 g) raw cashews
- ⅓ – ½ cup (80–120 ml) water
- Pinch salt
Creamy Berry-Full Polenta
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring the nondairy milk and water to a boil. Stir in the polenta grits, and adjust the heat to medium-low. Cook—covered but vented, stirring occasionally—for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the polenta is creamy. Stir in the maple syrup, and add salt to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- While the polenta is cooking, warm the blueberries, blackberries, and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, adjust the heat to medium-low, and cook until the berries start to break down, about 10 minutes. Lightly mash the berries if they are not breaking apart.
- Divide the creamy polenta between 4 bowls, and top each with some berry mixture. Dollop 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of Simple Cashew Cream on top of each bowl (if using), and serve warm.
Cashew Cream (optional)
- Soak cashews in boiling hot water for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse cashews, then place them in blender with 1/3 cup (80 ml) water, to start, plus salt. Blend until completely smooth, adding more water if your blender is struggling.
- Refrigerate until ready to use, it will continue to thicken as it cools. Keeps for 7 to 10 days in refrigerator.
*If you do not have fresh berries on hand, frozen will also work. You may have to cook them longer because they retain more water.
**To keep this nut-free, omit cashew cream and simply add a dollop of vegan yogurt.