This classic Vegan Gluten-free Vanilla Cake pairs fluffy vanilla layers, fresh berries and a silky vanilla buttercream for the perfect cake for birthdays, parties or any special occasion.
- 3 cups all purpose flour (or 1–1 gluten-free flour blend)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (such as flax, soy or rice)
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup white or apple-cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1–3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 3 cups fresh berries (sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or blackberries)
- Vanilla Buttercream or Coconut Whipped Cream
To make the cake:
- preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease 2 9-inch round cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk non-dairy milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Pour wet mixture into the dry and whisk just until combined.
- Fill each cake pan evenly with batter and bake for 30-35 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out dry). Rotate the cake pans halfway through baking time.
- Let cake cool completely before assembly.
To make buttercream:
Using a stand mixer
or hand mixer, beat shortening until smooth. Add powdered sugar
, maple syrup, vanilla extract
and 1 tablespoon of non-dairy milk at a time as needed until it reaches a spreadable consistency. Increase speed to high and beat 2 more minutes until light and fluffy.
To assemble the cake:
- Once the cakes are cooed, run a knife around the inside edge of the pan to loosen and gently unmold the cake. Peel off parchment paper and carefully slice the dome part of the cake for even assembly.
- Place one cake on a serving plate. Spread a layer of frosting or whipped cream on top. Arrange half the berries on top then place the second cake on top of the first. Top with more frosting. Arrange berries on top of the cake and serve.
*Assemble the cake before serving to maintain the most freshness. You can also omit the middle layer of berries and simply top with them.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
Keywords: fluffy vanilla cake, gluten free cake, vegan gluten free cake, top 8 free cake, vanilla birthday cake, best vegan layer cake, dairy-free vanilla cake