Easy Vegan Skillet Pasta with “sausage”, mushrooms and white beans. A simple & flavorful meal the whole family will love! Vegan, nut-free and gluten-free
- 1 lb penne, rigatoni or favorite gluten-free pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 oz italian sausage (Tofurkey or Hilary’s for GF option )
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh lemon juice
- shredded parmesan (Follow Your Heart-V,GF)
- In a large pot of boiling, generously salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente; drain well but reserve 1 cup.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add crumbled sausage and cook, stirring until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Return pan to stove and heat 1 tablespoon oil again over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms, and cook until onion and softened and mushrooms are golden, about 6 minutes. Add broth, scraping off bits from bottom of pan.
- Add beans, thyme, red pepper flakes and reserved sausage with any liquid from it. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer until mixture has thickened slightly.
- When sauce veggie mixture is ready, pour noodles over mix and add a splash of lemon juice. Toss to combine. If pasta looks too dry, add a little of the reserved pasta water.
- Season more to taste and serve with shredded parmesan cheese.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian, vegan, gluten-free