Full of nutrients and flavor, this hearty lasagna will be one that reminds you just how amazing Italian food is.
1 Box of Whole Wheat or Brown Rice Lasagna Noodles
2 Cups fresh Spinach leaves
2 Bell Peppers, chopped (Or you can use 1 C. Broccoli, chopped)
1 Cup Chopped Mushrooms
1/2 Onion, chopped
2 Jars Marinara Sauce (I used Tomato Basil flavor)
4 Vegan “Italian” sausages cut into cubes (Tofurky’s are amazing)
1 lb. Extra firm tofu
Juice of 1 lemon
1 minced garlic clove
2 TB. nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
4 TB. Sundried tomatoes chopped
1 TB dried Basil
1 tsp. dried Oregano
1/2 package of shredded Mozzarella Cheese (DAIYA brand is awesome)
1. If noodles need to be cooked, follow manufacturers directions.
2. Drain tofu and wrap in paper towel. Place on a plate then place a heavy pan on top of it and let it sit for about 10 minutes to press out some of the liquid. Drain liquid.
3. Crumble tofu in a bowl. Add juice from lemon, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, tomatoes, basil and oregano. Then use a potato masher to blend it all together until it resembles ricotta.
4. In a large saucepan, add 2 TB olive oil and saute “sausage” cubes. Use the potato masher again and break into smaller pieces. Add onions, mushrooms & peppers (or broccoli) and saute for a few minutes.
5. Add sauce to pan with “sausage” and veggies and simmer about 10 minutes so all flavors blend.
6. Preheat oven to 425.
7. Using a glass dish (9×13) start layering process: sauce, noodles, spinach, tofu ricotta, cheese. You should have 3 layers of noodles then end with sauce and cheese.
8. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. (If you are using noodles that do not have to be boiled first, bake 40 minutes).
9. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes so cheese melts on top.
- Looking for a simpler recipe? Just modify this one a little. When I’m short on time, I simply use spinach, cheese and my homemade ricotta for a more cheesey lasagna. Layer extra noodles for an extra tall slice.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian